[Vista Compatibility]: Cannot install language pack on Vista

FractalizeR

Hello.

Any software cannot read/write to Program Files directory on Vista. So, it is impossible to, for example, download language pack with browser and place it to utorrent directory. It goes to c:\Users\Влад\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ folder instead of ProgramFiles. That is the impact of Windows virtualization technology. In fact every read attempt from Program Files should also go through this techique, but on some reason, utorrent does not see language pack.

I guess because of this utorrent should change storage folder for language packs. Or can this problem be solved in a different way?

...? µTorrent reads its external files only from the settings directory (which is %appdata%\uTorrent by default -- somewhere in the roaming profiles directory). It does not use Program Files to store the settings (not by default anyway), so I'm not really seeing the problem here. Can you re-explain it?

On this page http://www.utorrent.com/download.php there is a note:

"To install the langpack, simply copy the file into directory with µTorrent executable. The program will install it automatically."

UTorrent installs itself into Program Files by default.

1) On Vista you need to have admin rights to write something to program files. So I think this method of installing language pack is not Vista-friendly. You need to have admin rights to copy language to utorrent directory.

2) For example, I do as it says. I place utorrent.lng near utorrent.exe with admin rights using Windows Explorer and restart utorrent. But there are no new langs in Preferences window after copying.

I am using Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Can I suggest better way to install language packs?

Let's name language packs for utorrent like language.utorrentlng and associate this .utorrentlng extension with utorrent.exe with a command-line option to install this LP. Being invoked with this command UTorrent should copy language pack to Application Data\UTorrent directory. There are standard Windows API functions to get Application Data folder path, that works on all OSes (like SHGetFolder).

Heh I suppose the download page can do with a little revision. I never actually realized that it suggested that users put it with the executable. While it's a valid thing to do in most cases, a more standardized approach should probably be recommended (%appdata%\uTorrent for everything settings file related).

Archived