Force a download to do parts in order?

SteakNChips

Hey, I tried to search for this but couldn't find any results.

My question: Is it possible to force utorrent to download a file's parts in order. My main reason for wanting to know this is that it would be helpful because when downloading .avi and other video files you can watch a partial file if you have the very first part complete. I think this is because it contains an index for the video (for .avi files at least).

If this is possible can someone tell me what steps to take.

Many thanks!

Torrents are not designed to download files sequentially. Some torrents contain multiple video files, so in those cases, you could download the first video file and skip the rest. Still, you have to wait for the file to completely download before you can view it. Bitcomet and Shareaza have a video preview feature, but those programs also carry their own set of problems which make it unattractive for many people.

SteakNChips said: "You say this because it isn't possible or because uTorrent will never be adding it as a feature to prioritize parts of a file?"

It is theoretically+technically possible, if you don't mind some major violating of BitTorrent protocol (read: cheating)...as well as screwing over other peers trying to download that same torrent in the process.

Which is why µTorrent won't be adding that dubious feature.

Piece prioritization should mostly be left to the protocol rules so that the speed of the whole swarm is optimized.

You can try prioritize first and last piece (bt.prio_first_last_piece), the only control we as users get over piece prioritization. For some file types (in case of single file torrents) this might make opening and inspecting a bit of the content of the file possible. Multi-file torrents allow you to prioritize individual files in the Files tab.

• 5 years later...

"No there is not a way to do this, nor will there be."

... and thats when i switched over to qBittorrent, a free, adless alternative to uTorrent that DOES allow this feature (which works fine btw i don't know what the admins are talking about it messing stuff up)

I grew up with uTorrent but now i'm leaving. That answer was a kinda jackass response and it makes me feel like a tool to continue to support developers who obviously don't care one wit about my needs as a user.

qBitTorrent = the new king of bittorrent clients!

uTorrent = officially too big for its briches

Archived