speed entire torrent network (how presumptious of me)

nakro

This is based on my own observations looking at the speed tab :

Right now, all tutorials suggest 80% upload for every client, indeed this seems to give uTorrent enough time to upload and enough bandwidth to ack downloads or whatever housekeeping jobs it does (bare with me please)

since when i want to download something pretty bad i don't do extra internet activity i tried to raise the upload to nearly 95% and all the time i gbot the following behaviour that it seems uTorrent starts to DL really fast and then it goes down very fast and at the same time i can see in the speed bar that the uploads were droppped way down

meaning (i guess) that uTorrent chokes on itself ...

sadly, when i tell uTorrent to use the automatic mode it goes crazy ... first uploads too fast, then going way down and all the time i get very bad DL speeds

in short i suggest this (again, based on observations only, i don't know the protocol of torrents)

have a mode of "super download" where if the DL speed starts to go up, you immediatly stop uploading at a crazy speed so you have time to acknowledge the downloads....

once the downloads go down for a while, raise the upload to the max of the user as then it sends more data over the netwrok and not really downloading fast

i truly hope this isn't pure horseshit i'm spewing here... if so, my apolgogies and feel free to delete this :)

You should lower your upload speed to around 40-50% in advance to allow for higher download rates, then use the option to "alternate upload rate while not downloading".

Your feature request of lowering your upload speed automatically based on your current download speed, would have to use Ping command to calculate your new upload speed amount. If I remember correctly, this has been previously rejected.

I'm saying nothing about extra overheard of using ping, on the contrary, i suggest zero more overhead, as the client by itself sees that the DL starts to get up quite fast and then it can drop bck to the 80% mode like it normally is

let me make myself clear, i normally DL faster when i only cap myself at around 80% UL, but i see no logic in this as in the times when i DL slow (again no ping necessary the client can see this by itself) then it should up my UL so everyone will benefit from this, and the entire netwrok will be faster

even better, but again, i don't know the internals of the bittorrent protocol, but the developers do : so it should be possible to see based on the number of peers you have and seeders and(!) knowing the overhead assoicated with contacting them, where was i .... oh yeah, it should be possible to calc how much bandwidth can be "spared" to upload more to the network, so this will even become more flexible

i mean for my self, i see that raising the upload to above 80% (i have 16kB/s UL bandwith on my ADSL, the optimization manual suggest i use 9kB/s and i use 13kB/s as an output, and sometimes it chokes, many times not) wouldn't it be great if this was done automatically, based on the number of my connections AND my current DL speed ?

meaning (i guess) that uTorrent chokes on itself ...

Yeah... that's exactly why we suggest that people don't stray too far from 80% maximum upload rate...

when i tell uTorrent to use the automatic mode it goes crazy ... first uploads too fast, then going way down

By default, it does this only every few minutes to test network conditions in an attempt to maximize the available upload rate. The upload rate gets unlimited for 30 seconds while µTorrent attempts to see how fast it can upload, then limits itself to 80% of the maximum reached by default.

Just keep your upload rate to 80% if you dislike that behavior. Setting the upload rate to 95% is asking for trouble. Big time.

Ultima, there is something i don't quite get

i Downloaded a huge torrent which rook 3 days, and every several hours i played with the max upload speed and as a fact, when i crossed the 80% barrier i got better download speed, which makes sense (i just read the utorrent protocol specifications)

the point is simple, i think we all lose from not up loading at the maximum rate, the only drawback to UL at max speed is that one needs to keep enough bandwidth for housekeeping, which is exacly what i want as the new feature

i mean uTorrent knows how much overhead it needs and i am sure the developrs know the ins and outs of TCP/IP so they should take packet limits into account as well

all in all, i don't care much if you'll never add this feature, just thought its a shame not to have it

anyways a very good client (but my offer might improve it) and think about the entire torrent community who will get torrents faster! no-one losses

It's just that the thought of all this wasted UL bandwidth just sitting there (it does) doing nothng useful is a shame....

Archived