FireFox 1.5 is finally released!

boo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or he maybe should flush the DNS cache on his pc ;)
now im waiting you to tell me exactly how to clean dns cache what is used by windows and linux :D

and i dont have router.

and read previous posts to notice at had same problem with same sites in linux and windows ;D

well, if your ISP had a DNS server problem while back and you tried to acces mozilla.com

with both windows and linux, then both windows and linux may need to get their DNS cache flushed.

So flush your windows DNS cache and try again ;) =

ipconfig /flushdns

Why is Opera better than Firefox?

- I admit, extensions are cool. However they shit on Firefox's resource usage (ie. RAM usage). The point I made in my blog post is that a lot of Firefox users claim that Firefox is the best because it offers x feature in an extension, when often Opera offers it native (ie. more customizable, less resource-hungry)

- Extensions need to be updated for the new versions a lot of the time, which means that you're stuck with a sucky browser (nobody likes extensionless Firefox :P) until the extensions are updated

- A lot of Firefox users are reporting the memory leak that nobody can work out how to fix

As far as specific advantages that Opera has, and I'm ignoring the fact that technically Firefox is more customizable because you can recompile it from source with your changes..

- search.ini customization is MUCH better than Firefox search engines, the Firefox integrated search is clunky IMO although the automatic download of new engines is good..

- Opera devs get paid so bugs are usually fixed a lot faster, also it means there is a team maintaining BrowserJS which is designed to automatically fix non-compliant code (ie. sites that don't work in Opera, and probably wouldn't work in FF either)

- Opera is constantly innovating, I like to support a company that is a forerunner in the web world. You say that it doesn't matter that Opera had the features first, what about new features? Firefox just implemented instant back/forward and error pages, something Opera's already had for ages. Not really relevant to us being µT users, but Opera has integrated BT which I think we'll see become an important part of web browsing in the future and which will be ripped off by other browsers eventually.

- One such feature not yet in FF afaik for web devs: Automatically validate any page by right-clicking and selecting 'validate'..

- Opera is smaller and more efficient, even though it has way more features. Links menu, mouse gestures, Windows panel, email client built-in, contacts, IRC, notes and more are already built-in to Opera. Yes you can get them through extensions in Firefox except Opera is quicker than Firefox even when it has no extensions, let alone countless memory consuming extensions

- Opera's layout engine is much more efficient than any other browser, particularly with JavaScript, see this browser comparison..

I'm not just an Opera zealot though, I use Firefox sometimes because:

- More n00b-friendly, ie. more similar to IE, the panels in Opera confuse people so I always install FF as an IE replacement when I'm doing paid tech support work

- Google supports Firefox, so I use it for Gmail and Blogger (they're buggy in Opera)

What annoys me is people who think Firefox is the only alternative browser, everything else sucks, and then go off ripping into IE users because they're so 1337 that they use Firefox.

Sorry for the rant :P

I've been using 1.5 since B1- Firefox is getting crap. I'm still having memory leaks even after performing a few rounds of clean reinstalling- I'm using standalone IE7b1 as my default browser now. If the Moz people don't clean up their act soon, FX won't even stand a CHANCE once IE7 ships.

Don't even mention Opera. It's great and everything, but the way it loads and behaves- even the way it renders pages- is just plain ANNOYING.

@splintax: thanks for that informative post. I might give Opera a try, although I do like FF very much. the only thing bothering me is what you said about Gmail being buggy in Opera. Is there something in opera which is equivalent to the Gmail Manager extension in FF?

It's an extension that functions as a Gmail Notifier for several Gmail accounts.

I've been using 1.5 since B1- Firefox is getting crap. I'm still having memory leaks even after performing a few rounds of clean reinstalling- I'm using standalone IE7b1 as my default browser now. If the Moz people don't clean up their act soon, FX won't even stand a CHANCE once IE7 ships.

Don't even mention Opera. It's great and everything, but the way it loads and behaves- even the way it renders pages- is just plain ANNOYING.

You mean its annoying that it loads and renders pages much faster than FF? How can that be an annoyance?

I'd take IE7 over FF anyday. Actually, I'd even take Maxthon(another great browser although tied to IE engine) over FF.

Hmm. Do you delete your profiles between reinstalls? (The uninstall doesn't remove profiles, so bugs stemming from settings/themes/extensions can carry over)

FYI: Firefox's profile manager is launched by doing Start -> Run -> firefox.exe -p

Archived