My speed is capped at 10kB/s, and I've tried EVERYTHING!

curlcurl07

I realise this is a forum for uTorrent, but the latest version of Bittorrent is pretty much the same, and the Bittorrent helpdesk is completely useless. I upgraded from Bittorrent 5 to Bittorent 6 (The one that uses uTorrent's technology), and cannot seem to get speeds any faster than 10kB/s. I honestly have looked at every guide and query on this forum, and cannot seem to find an answer. I've unlocked all the ports, have got the green tick, and still 10kB/s!

When I was using Bittorrent 5.0, just hours ago, I was getting speeds of 100kB/s, and now I'm capped at 10 kB/s in this new Bittorrent 5/uTorrent thing. Trend Micro has all the ports unlocked, the Netgear router has all the ports unlocked, the speed guide is all checking out, but still not working! It will not go faster!

Please help me, I really need help. Any help will be appreciated.

All right:

Download/Upload Speed (According to www.abeltronica.com/PagRec/uk/01/):

Download: Average: 750 kbps

Upload Average: 250 kbps

The Firewall is set up with the following settings:

-Wireless Network

-"Program Control":

Connection: In and Out

Action: Allow

IP Version: IPv4/v6

Protocol: TCP/UDP

Port/Type: Any (All Ports)

-"Network Control":

Connection: In and Out

Action: Allow

IP Version: IPv4/v6

Protocol: TCP/UDP

Port/Type: 6881-26881

I have tried removing and re-adding the rule/exceptions in Trend Micro and the Netgear Router page.

I have tried the OpenOffice torrent, and still would not get above 10kB/s.

Protocol Encrytion did not make a difference.

peer.lazy_bitfield is on "true"

The network status light is green.

The port checker says "OK! Port 16881 is open and accepting connections."

Speed Guide settings:

Upload Limit: 22kB/s

Connections: 70

Max active torrents: 2

Upload slots: 3

Connections (Global): 130

Max Active Downloads: 1

net.max_halfopen is set to 8

Operating system: Vista 32bit

Security Software: Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security Suite 2007, AdAware

Router: Netgear WGR614v4, Modem: D-Link DSL 302G

ISP: Optusnet Australia (Not listed on the Bad ISP list)

Connection type: DSL

Thank you for any help!

in utorrent, you find that setting in preferences --> Advanced: net.max-halfopen, change value to 4, click SET (!) and accept with OK.

some vista users here have reported that speed improves when they set the net.bind_ip option to their public IP address. search in the forums for that option - I might be mistaken...

Does your client have these options or something similar?

I changed the setting to 4, but it comes up as *4, is this normal?

But, I am not seeing any change. Do I need to restart the client or something?

I've also set the netbind_ip to the IP address, still no change.

I've also noticed that the upload speed can go up to around 20kB/s, but the download speed is still capped at 10kB/s.

no worries, the * just indicates that you have changed the default value. Try setting it to as low as 2.

In the preferences --> Bittorent check that "enable local peers discovery" is unticked; also try and disable DHT. In the peers tab, right click and disable "resolve IPs".

In Preferences --> Connection make sure that you didn't set max download speed to anything other than 0 ;-)

And yes - why not restart utorrent after making those changes... can't do any harm.

Yeah Optus hasn't capped me, I'm still going over 100kB/s in everything except Bittorrent.

Thanks, but where is the port forwarding troubleshooter? I'll try it out, and see if my speed goes to normal. I'll report back here.

EDIT:

Ok, it's gone back to the green tick, but the speed still hasn't risen. This is very annoying.

Bittorrent says it is using port 36881, which is what both the Netgear Wireless Router and Trend Micro PC-Cillin is set to. I originally had my port set to 16881, which worked in the older Bittorrent, but when I first tried it in this version of Bittorrent, it still didn't go above 10 kB/s.

Also, there is a message saying Disk Overload 100%, would this have something to do with it?

EDIT:

OK, I've fixed it. How? By scrapping Bittorrent 6, and moving over to uTorrent. It looks exactly the same, but with the vista support, which is what I'm guessing made the difference. Now my downloads go up to 200kB/s (which is heaps in Australia). Thanks for all your help anyway. You've been really great.

Archived