µTorrent 1.2.3-beta Unicode

ludde

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I mean, wow. You can't abandon win95/98/Me, that's the fact, it's not professional for product like that. You have to duplicate funtions, maybe put some code infront and after those core functions with some some translating code or just maybe fill those character strings with uncode in 2000/xp/... and with ANSI in 95/98/ME. You ain't gonna abandon support on 98, are you?

royalshrubber, no one ever said that. he just said unicode builds won't be available for 9x.

SledgeDG: he'd have to make a special 9x build for that, since using MSLU requires some (fairly minor) code changes to call unicows.dll

I'll suggest it to him and see what he thinks.

I, first of all, want to thank the developers for this great product. I see great promise for a non-Java based torrent program. I routinely has my system use 450-600M of ram. This program uses only about 15 to 30M and though that is higher than what is advertised, I don't use the program as most people do. I would gladly test the far end of any beta testing that you need as I routinely have 1000-1200 files in my que, though not all active at once.

Thanks again,

K

Well, the DLL is actually smaller if it's uncompressed, since µT is about 220KB uncompressed after all ;)

plus, it is providing quite a bit of functionality (the entire unicode layer and an interface between unicode and the non-unicode APIs), so the coding's not that inefficient.

monkey8: define 'doesn't work'. By the way, if you used any unicode torrents when uT was NOT unicode, there's no guarantee whatsoever that they will work in the Unicode build. In fact, they probably will not work.

Try it with new unicode torrents.

We already tested it a lot and encountered this, it's unavoidable and unfixable, apart from you going and manually renaming every single file and folder to match the unicode display in the file listing. :P

monkey8: define 'doesn't work'. By the way, if you used any unicode torrents when uT was NOT unicode, there's no guarantee whatsoever that they will work in the Unicode build. In fact, they probably will not work.

Try it with new unicode torrents.

We already tested it a lot and encountered this, it's unavoidable and unfixable, apart from you going and manually renaming every single file and folder to match the unicode display in the file listing. :P

I paused and took a minute to define 'doesn't work', but I can't.. I guess pictures worth a thousand words.. :)

Edit: the be safe, I even delete \utorrent\ in c:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\

To start with, I have nothing on the torrent list. I open a new torrent with files in tranditional chinese. Picture below clearly shows utorrent doesn't recognize unicode.

ut10sp.th.jpg

Clicking on Files tab, shows all the files still in "messed-up" letters.

utimage21ek.th.jpg

I tried the same torrent with bitcomet, it works.

Oh well. I got so exicted when I downloaded the beta. I guess there's some more things to work out. Hope to see unicode gets finalized! :)

I have similar problems with the unicode support because it breaks utorrent's ability to differentiated between ansi and unicode. Before this beta torrents coded in traditional chinese works for me each and everytime because I changed the system language from the Windows Regional and Language Options. Hopefully it's just a bug and not something permanent.

@Firon: maintaining 2 different Versions is, what M$ tried to solve with this layer (like they ever solved anything in the first place :D) so I understand that this call to unicows.dll gets ignored by all versions of NT, W2K, XP

Which means, once it's incorporated (provided that is possible at all) you have the desired "one version fits all)

Thank god unicows.dll will reside in your systems32 folder thus not bloating µtorrent (which would be a shame.)

I wonder, since the problem seems solvable somehow, why friggin' M$ didn't come up with some patch to incorporate it into the OS rather than force programmers to incorporate calls in their programs

-DG

Doesn't BitComet not make torrents in Unicode for Chinese and Japanese code pages?

Open that torrent in Azureus and make sure it says [uTF-8] in the code page.

If it doesn't, it's not a Unicode torrent. :P

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/9458/utf8torrent6te.th.gif

With a proper Unicode torrent.

I happen to have all the clients installed, so I can test out each one of them.. :D. here's the screen shot on Azureus in UTF-8:

azimage15iv.th.jpg

azimage23vx.th.jpg

It's set at UTF-8. however, even if I set it to None, it still reconigzes.

azimage39jt.th.jpg

I even tired Japanese/Simplified chinese/Korean torrents, test it with utorrent-beta-unicode, Azureus and bitcomet. utorrent-beta-unicode doesn't reconigzes any of the languages.

boo, no. Somehow this beta version has corrupted (dunno why) the dht.dat file. I delete that file and everything seems to be right now... But I back to 1.2.2...

EDIT

Thank god unicows.dll will reside in your systems32 folder thus not bloating µtorrent (which would be a shame.)

yea.

Archived