Removing Finished .torrent Files

ljubo666

Hi!

1. In "Folder Options-> Move .torrents for finished jobs to:" does not provide a way to move torrent files into Recycle Bin. It would be nice

to be able to delete or better send .torrent files to Recycle Bin.

2. If #1 is not so easy to do, maybe to provide option in Advanced tab for users to customize function of toolbar Remove button.

Currently, Remove button only removes torrent from UI, but .torrent file stays on HD. I propose that we can set up what

action Remove button will performe... actions: a) just remove (default current behaviour); B) remove and delete .torrent (or send

to recycle bin); c) remove and delete/send to RB .torrent and data

(options are the same as in context menu for torrents in UI)

#1 would be really useful, but maybe the best would be to implement both #1 and #2.

Someone will probably comment #2 and say something like...but u already have that in context menu...yes that's true but

toolbar is there for a reason...to speed up operations, and I haven't been using remove button at all...when I done w/ torrent it's

almost always right click->remove and-> delete .torrent.

What do you think?

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

I would just like the option to have it auto remove when finished so that I do not have to manually do it myself every time a torrent completes seeding.

Maybe even add the option to also delete the torrent file (or send the torrent file to the trash bin as suggested above).

I use the rss downloader and I am just getting sick of going in there and removing the listing every time it finishes a torrent.

I would also like peers that send corrupted pieces to get an hour ban after the first bad hash check and not wait till they do it 5 times before they get this short ban.

If the bad part was not intentional then oh well it is only an hour ban.

Other then that this is a great client.

I used to use ABC and even though I was very loyal to ABC I could not help but to switch over to this client.

And by the way, ABC can remove torrent listing after they have completed seeding just like I am requesting here.

And you will never see such an option. Remove it yourself. Make sure you actually SEED the torrent before doing so.

Ok and why is that?

I did not ask to have it removed before it is done seeding. Only after it is doing nothing but wasting a few pixels on my screen helping no one.

I only want it to do something that I would do anyway and would never in a million years decrease seeding.

In fact it would increase seeding. I find myself sometimes removing a listing even if it is seeding so that I do not have to remove it later when it is finished.

So please reconsider this since it would clearly only increase seeding and if I will never see such an option will continue to reduce my seeding every now and then directly because of it.

As you can clearly see my request harms no one and would do nothing but benefit others.

Perhaps you misunderstood my request since you gave such a definitive reply.

Why do you need to remove finished torrents in the first place, let alone before they've finished seeding? Do you have any good reason?

Not the files themselves, just the listing in the client.

I don't want them to build up just so I will have to remove them.

I would also not mind having the *.torrent files deleted as well since they will also eventually build up and require to be deleted.

Call it compulsive or not but I know there are many people who do this as well.

Every BitTorrent client that I have ever used has the ability to delete the torrent files and the listing when the torrent is completed seeding.

And the simple fact that it WILL increase seeding is good enough reason.

You need at least a "clear completed" option.

I thought you meant that there was a way to have it auto do this when the file finishes seeding.

Sorry for the mistake.

I have been trying to convince the developers to add options to remove listings and delete torrent files when the torrent has completed seeding. This would not be a problem for anyone since the file would already be finished with all actions including seeding. It would be a very small convenience option that would in fact increase seeding in some situations.

it doesn't increase seeding, it decreases seeding, because you're a lot less likely to reseed torrents in the future.

Like 99% of all torrent users I get all my seeding done in the first session.

I would wager that my request would in fact increase seeding as a hole.

And don't even try to say I must be a leacher.

I upload more then two times as much as I download by the time I have finished downloading most of the time (got to love Fiber Optics).

Like 99% of all torrent users I get all my seeding done in the first session.

you dont get it, when a torrent is removed from the list, the user feels well... not responsable for it if it happens to loss all the seeders after a time since... well, they made their seeding before :P

that leads to a dead torrent, and making it easier for the user by automatically removing the torrent after a seeding goal, is making a call for people not to reseed

you dont get it, when a torrent is removed from the list, the user feels well... not responsable for it if it happens to loss all the seeders after a time since... well, they made their seeding before :P

that leads to a dead torrent, and making it easier for the user by automatically removing the torrent after a seeding goal, is making a call for people not to reseed

If you want infinite seeding get eMule. Bittorrent is based on short and fast. Perfect for new releases.

nope, thats not what bittorrent is about

bittorrent is about sharing, the other apps are more about downloading only since u can find the stuff whenever u want it

Bittorent is fast because people focus on only a few files at a time. This would not be the case if people shared to many files at once. I know exactly why bittorent is successful and it is not because people share hundreds of there files that they downloaded for years at a time.

It's successful because of protocol design, not because of what's shared and in what way. You can share thousands of files, and it'll still get wider spread than traditional P2Ps, and it is this spread that makes it successful.

Since when was BitTorrent only for new releases? I've seen torrents that remain alive for years at a time, so what's that about using eMule for older files? Know why it remains alive for that long? Because people DO share it perpetually. Don't know if you've seen, but people have requested for a feature for µTorrent to automatically seed if it finds that a swarm is below a certain threshold for number of seeds. This would work because people do reseed even after stopping the torrent.

This would work because people do reseed even after stopping the torrent.

This would only keep the torrents alive. It would never keep them fast and it will never interfere with releases anyway since the majority still only seed during the first month of a release.

Those old torrents are not going to have much bandwidth allocated to them unless they are still popular and actively downloaded by others.

It is the nature of the beast. If a network was set up so that it would keep all your files uploading all the time just like all the rest of the peer to peer networks then you would see the same problems that plague any other network regardless of the protocol. This is because seeding files that are not popular spreads bandwidth to thin thus making the rest of the files download much slower.

This is not theory, this is fact.

Archived