Removing Finished .torrent Files

ljubo666

if everyone thought the way u do, bittorrent would have been a total disaster if not a failure

The way the protocol was first released there was no way that a persons thoughts would have affected its success.

I do not know your motivations but nothing I have said is a falsehood.

Sharing your bandwidth is in fact important. Sharing it with to many files at once would have destroyed the protocol by making it no better then any other peer to peer system.

The reason this protocol is so popular is because most bandwidth is used for only a few files at a time on new releases. This is and always will be the reason the protocol is so useful.

No, that is NOT the reason this protocol is successful. It decreases distribution load on the initial seeder. Nowhere was it said that this protocol was only for new files. And this protocol was NEVER made to be fast in the first place. The speed was just a side-effect of the protocol design. And if there's one seeder keeping a torrent alive, how does that differ from one person sharing a rare file on eMule?

The speed was just a side-effect of the protocol design.

You are deluded if you think protocol can increase everyones upstream. People have limited upload bandwidth. The only way to make a torrent or any file for that matter to download fast on a p2p network is to dedicate upstream to mostly the files you are downloading.

You can delude yourself all you want but this is still fact.

BRB that has nothing to do with deludeing himself.

you are confusing her the two things: having a torretn active and splitting bandwith to many torrents. You can keep dozends or hundret of torrents "alive" [ready for seeding when there is a need for it] and still maintain highspeed UL rate if you limit the amount of active UL/DL to a resonable level in µtorrent.

Edit:

and thats why µTorrent has infinite seeding as the default setting IIRC

BRB that has nothing to do with deludeing himself.

you are confusing her the two things: having a torretn active and splitting bandwith to many torrents. You can keep dozends or hundret of torrents "alive" [ready for seeding when there is a need for it] and still maintain highspeed UL rate if you limit the amount of active UL/DL to a resonable level in µtorrent.

You may be right, but in that case I would like the option to have it auto remove older files that have reached a minimum seeding threshold when a set number of torrents has been reached. That would be a good compromise perhaps. You would not get to many files in the list even if set to infinite seeding.

I think that would be a great idea, it would even promote infinite seeding for the files that have not yet been bumped off your list by newer torrents.

(this is so you can use infinite seeding while still downloading new torrents without having to many torrents seeding at once).

This sentence ruined the experience i have had from the reading of that post than.

I first thought you have understand the concept but you did not :-(

You are NOT seeding more torrents at once than you have specified in the fields in the preferences tab. No matter how many hundret torrents you have.

And if you feel uncomfortable with a large list view then use labels and group these 100drets of torrents then. you will never see more then the lets say 4 active ones in the corosponding view.

And if you feel uncomfortable with a large list view then use labels and group these 100drets of torrents then. you will never see more then the lets say 4 active ones in the corosponding view.

Not everyone is going to keep hundreds of files stored on there hard drive.

@BigRedBrent: No, I'm not deluding myself. You're deluding yourself into thinking you know how the protocol works, obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't be talking about limited upload speeds and how dedicated uploading is required for any P2P solution to be fast.

• 3 months later...

I'll second that automated request. I just removed 10000 torrent files that I never thought I had.

10,000 useless 60kb files. that really is a waste in my opinion. I seed to 1.0+. after that I don't need it anymore.

yea, I know it's a dead thread, but my search found me this thread, so um...yeah. revived.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi!

1. In "Folder Options-> Move .torrents for finished jobs to:" does not provide a way to move torrent files into Recycle Bin. It would be nice

to be able to delete or better send .torrent files to Recycle Bin.

2. If #1 is not so easy to do, maybe to provide option in Advanced tab for users to customize function of toolbar Remove button.

Currently, Remove button only removes torrent from UI, but .torrent file stays on HD. I propose that we can set up what

action Remove button will performe... actions: a) just remove (default current behaviour); B) remove and delete .torrent (or send

to recycle bin); c) remove and delete/send to RB .torrent and data

(options are the same as in context menu for torrents in UI)

#1 would be really useful, but maybe the best would be to implement both #1 and #2.

Someone will probably comment #2 and say something like...but u already have that in context menu...yes that's true but

toolbar is there for a reason...to speed up operations, and I haven't been using remove button at all...when I done w/ torrent it's

almost always right click->remove and-> delete .torrent.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Okay ... I'm running uT 3.2.2 and I found a way to auto-delete .torrent files to recycle bin, then in turn auto-delete them from my recycle bin. Here's how:

Options > Preferences > Directories

Where it says "Move.torrents for finished jobs to:" select the box and paste without quotes "\$Recycle.Bin\%SID%"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-Recycle-Bin-settings

Then follow the above link which are instructions via MicroShaft and calibrate the size your recycle bin can hold or even just skip the 'recycle' process altogether.

I am however baffeled that I couldn't find a script to remove said downloads from download/seed list when status is "Finished". So if any of you have a script that would work for this ... lemme know please.

Archived