BEncode Editor

Ultima

"Additionally, the .fileguard key should be removed, since µTorrent will consider its .dat file to be damaged if it is edited and no longer matches the stored .fileguard hash."

Could that not be done either automatically (or via warning dialog) on save?

• 1 month later...

I have some problems editing my resume.dat file.

I got bunch of torrents which originally come with their own folder. What I want to achieve is to simply put the files into the parent folder.

I edited the path variable so it points to the file itself, but for some weird reason it doesn't work, and I get errors with invalid path or something. When I checked uTorrent's log, it seems like the damn thing wants to use the path I supplied as the torrent's folder, and put the files with some junk name, probably generated from the caption (what's that anyway?), in there.

What do I do? Is this some sort of bug?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ultima ,

First of all , thank you very much for this amazing tool . I'm no pro but started learning to use this and now I'm familiar with basic stuffs like editing the total download and upload stats of utorrent . I had no problems modifying these values as their type is Integer . But for the following stats

daily_download_hist

daily_upload_hist

the default type is set as "Binary" "as Binary" , I tried changing their type to integer and thereby altering their corresponding value but still , nothing's changed in the stats page . And the type reverted back to its default setting . I've also heard a suggestion that Cheat Engine can be used for editing these stats , is it possible . Or is there any other way to overcome this , like using a converter or changing to other types .

I've tried using many online converters , but I'm not even sure under which category does these alphanumeric values comes under .

2irx6oz.jpg

And this is just a fraction of the real value , the entire value is

0xEDD7701100000000E4EFF15200000000E4227B110000000002E6A00F0000000011CACCE700000000E72E530D01000000D1E6BD1200000000CA12811A00000000E2C7B012000000001D2CEC1400000000E34A9D170000000078F9ED4A0000000075B8773600000000FEA3881200000000A795F01000000000A7F6CE0F00000000D98B690C000000000294631100000000BBD3B90D0000000081DA530B00000000EF2DF70E00000000470C330C00000000BA8AD71600000000DC3C538B0000000099CE870D000000006B3BC42C00000000D82FC518000000007A49F1060000000013ED6307000000008A122C0A000000009EDBD80A00000000

Now someone please explain to me how am I supposed to edit these stats . And also under what category does this value come under . Even though I'm new to this , I am well aware that this is no Binary as mentioned in the pic as it must contain only of 0's and 1's . This is a cocktail of alphabets , numbers and Binary Digits . :P

how am I supposed to edit these stats
You aren't!
This is a cocktail of alphabets , numbers and Binary Digits

They are in hexadecimal - base 16 numbers.

numbers from 0 to 16 in base 10 representation (decimal) are represented by 0 to 9 then A to F for 10 to 16.

so FF (16x16) represents 256 or 1111111111111111 in binary, FF is much easier to work with than trying to count 1s and 0s. And that is only a 16bit number (a 'word' in computer math parlance) , now try that with 128 bit numbers. :D

You aren't!

That's a real downer , So isn't tinkering with the other stats kinda pointless . Like I'd have set my total download and upload in TB's . But my download/upload for the last 31 days is 100 MB / 20 MB :lol: . I know this is an extreme example , but just trying to emphasize my point . So is using cheat engine a viable solution .

Also since I'm not sure how to handle this hexadecimal numbers , I thought maybe copying others settings ( just the daily_download_hist ; daily_upload_hist values ) which copes up with my total stats . Can this be done ?

Thanks a lot for the help ciaobaby . :)

They are in hexadecimal - base 16 numbers.

numbers from 0 to 16 in base 10 representation (decimal) are represented by 0 to 9 then A to F for 10 to 16.

so FF (16x16) represents 256 or 1111111111111111 in binary, FF is much easier to work with than trying to count 1s and 0s. And that is only a 16bit number (a 'word' in computer math parlance) , now try that with 128 bit numbers. :D

Wow 16 bit is more than enough to knock me out cold , won't be needing that 128 bit monster . :P

• 5 months later...

For those who, for some reason, needs to manually change status of some torrent in resume.dat:

• From Stopped (0%) to Finished (100%):
  1. have parameter:

1. Change type from "Binary, as Binary" to "Binary, as String" (data loss is OK).
    2. Set the value to ANSI chars of code 223 (Cyrillic "я"); their quantity should be equal to the length of the parameter. One way to get this char is to copy it from the corresponding parameter of another torrent with Finished or Seeding status.
    3. order parameter: set the value to -1.
    4. valid parameter: create with Integer type, set the value to 1.

5. From Error: file missing from the job, please recheck (100%) to Finished 100%:
      • started parameter: set the value to 0.

MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE EDIT!

• 2 months later...
I was under the impression that that was part of the feature set of this tool - ie that if you modified resume.dat that the tool recalculated the fileguard hash value so utorrent would be happy with it.

And yes, thanks Ultima - but am I missing something? People in this thread talk about using it to modify resume.dat, but noone else has asked about the hash issue?

IE - Am *I* doing something wrong? or am *I* misunderstanding what the tool does?

And further, if the hash isn't right, is it expected that utorrent will go ahead and use it anyway ?!

Oh and PS - I was using the 0.4.1 unicode version. FYI - It seemed to work on W2K except that the drop downs on the find/replace dialogue had no options (but I ended up doing the edits on an XP system)

jewelisheaven - re: your other questions (wrt the bug report) - I've added the msg to it, and yes I'm sure the .old wasn't involved as I moved everything out the directory when experimenting.)

I'm a bit confused about this tool wrt resume.dat

I have a resume.dat that utorrent doesn't like (after a system crash) ie - When starting, utorrent logs "Warning: file integrity check failed (hash doesn't match): ...\resume.dat", renames the file .bad and I loose ALL torrent info.

I pulled this resume.dat up in this editor. The editor does NOT report any hash error. (huh?)

I deleted the last torrent, then saved the file. The fileguard hash value did NOT change.

I started utorrent using the modified resume.dat.

Again, I got the SAME error in the utorrent log, BUT, utorrent went ahead and used the resume data anyway - ie I did NOT loose everything (just the one torrent I deleted with the editor).

Is this the way everything is SUPPOSED to work?

When does this editor recompute the hash?

Why does utorrent say the hash fails (both orig and modified), but the editor doesn't?

Why does utorrent go ahead and use the modified 'bad' file, but not the original?

???

zalta999

resume.dat doesn't contain any hashes, they're stored in *.torrent (which you can open with this tool, too) instead. Actually, you perhaps didn't need to delete any torrent from your resume.dat, it would be probably enough to just save it after opening.

I pulled this resume.dat up in this editor. The editor does NOT report any hash error. (huh?)

I deleted the last torrent, then saved the file. The fileguard hash value did NOT change.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=289826#p289826

Please don't stop reading a discussion mid-way without first checking on the resolution. Especially when the resolution came only a few posts after the very post you quoted.

BEncode Editor is to BEncoded files what Notepad is to text files. Just because Notepad can edit .html files doesn't mean it should have to understand web browsers' interpretations the files. Similarly, just because BEncode Editor can edit resume.dat doesn't mean it should have to understand µTorrent's interpretation of the file.

µTorrent failing the file because it failed the hash check doesn't necessarily mean the file was invalidly BEncoded. It just means there are extra validations that µTorrent applies on the data that BEncode Editor doesn't care to do (because it's outside the narrower scope of BEncoding).

WARNING: Make sure you first exit µTorrent before editing these files, as µTorrent rewrites/updates the files on exit. Additionally, the .fileguard key should be removed, since µTorrent will consider its .dat file to be damaged if it is edited and no longer matches the stored .fileguard hash.

[h]Final Warning[/h]

This utility is for advanced users. Read the warnings in the USES section, and read them again until you understand well what you're getting yourself into by using this editor. Its relatively intuitive UI can beguile most uninitiated/beginning users, as it has an inherent ability to invalidate many files through wrong and incorrect edits.

BEncode Editor has facilities to allow you to regenerate the .fileguard hash correctly, but it won't hand-hold you through it. If you would rather not just remove the item, then you can hash the top-level dictionary after removing the .fileguard hash from the file using the Item menu, then re-add the .fileguard hash wherever it once was, but set the value to the hash that BEncode Editor calculated.

• 2 months later...

Please read the posts immediately following the one you quoted.

If you're still having problems with numbers, then you're suffering from a separate problem than was described in that instance. You're going to have to provide more information than "I see the same problem" (i.e. tell me how to replicate the problem).

I would like to merge two http://burnbit.com torrent files(with identical piece lengths) into multi-file torrent using Bencode Editor so there is no need to download all files to recreate torrent.

I added file list easy and merged piece hashes(Item->Merge with). It validates ok but after opening in utorrent I get error "torrent contains no piece hashes".

Verified using this formula and piece string appears is too long:

pieces = ((filesize + piece_length - 1) / piece_length) * 20

Why?

• 1 month later...

Recently my HDD has died, and dead torrents where flagged as corrupted on utorrent load, now when i copy files from backup and do a recheck it says they where completed today. Its important for me cause with completion time and upload ratio i determine which torrents are worth seeding.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

amazing program, sadly i've no idea how to move settings of 'skipped/selected to download files' in each torrent (re installing bittorent on a different system), so even though i can move all 'download to' paths at once by editing resume.dat in bencode, i still have to manually go through torrents and change what is skipped in each torrent.

• 3 months later...

Hello Ultima!

Are you author of BEncode utility?

I tried that and it's extremely bad with large files, simply crashing and unable to edit it property.
Do you have email?
I want to ask you to write translator from that format to xml and back.
Like for ReGet downloader - all it's config in xml format, simply and editable in any text editor.

I tried to PM, it didn't work. The member Ultima can not use the messaging system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived