BEncode Editor

Ultima

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello to everyone :) I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long, long time uTorrent user, and honestly consider it the best client I have ever used.

The reason I'm posting in this thread is because I have problems with seeding some torrents which I had relocated from my PC hard drive to an external hard drive (with folders names changed for clarity and order). I had tried using Ultima's BEncode (which I consider is a great program in regards of the general notion), however it does a little bit more than I would need it to do. Namely, I have numerous torrents, but I don't place them all in one, single folder - I have each torrent in a separate folder, with the folder's name corresponding to the torrent (i.e. F:/My Files/Private/uTorrent/Downloads/Folder Name). When I change the path for one torrent, BEncode searches throughout the whole file, either up or down (as it has in its options), and replaces the newly entered path for a single torrent in all of the torrents. Due to the fact how I have my torrents ordered, I would like it not to do that. I would like to be able to change paths for each torrent individually.

As I couldn't achieve my goal by using BEncode, I tried opening the resume.dat in Windows 7 WordPad, and editing it manually. I did everything necessary, which was deleting the fileguard, and replacing paths for each of my relocated torrents. I was even surprised how WordPad didn't prompt me on any problems with characters on closing and saving up. I thought everything would be fine, so I ran up uTorrent (version 2.2.1 Beta), and started a re-check for one of the relocated torrents. To my surprise, it didn't work - uTorrent quickly finished up the re-checking, and displayed I had 0% downloaded. Upon trying to open the containing folder by using the option in the contexts menu, uTorrent opened My Documents folder on my C drive. I then closed uTorrent, opened the edited resume.dat in WordPad again, and noticed that all the edited paths got replaced with the previous ones. What's also interesting, I tried to edit the file twice, and noticed that in the uTorrent's folder in AppData there ar 2 extra files named resume.dat.1.bad, and resume.dat.2.bad respectively.

Having sad all of this, can anyone advise me on how to change a path for a single torrent, either by using BEncode or doing it manually? It's just funny that I can't seed torrents just because I had to relocate them

I thought so, in a way, since everyone who has ever had the occasion to look into that folder must know there is also the resume.dat.old file. Anyway, how could I edit a single torrent's path, then? If I was as greedy and selfish to download files only for myself, I wouldn't bother how to start seeding them again. I know other people would appreciate some stuff as much as I do, and I wouldn't like to be the one who "contributes" to the dying of torrents

Ive upgraded to larger hdd and need some help using bencode. Previously, I divided my torrents up over 3 hdd via various partitions. Im consolidating everying into one drive with two partitions. Got loads of torrents but many belong to the same tracker.

If someone could show me an example of how to change from F to G:

F:\Music\Track\MA - Hland [FLAC]

G:\Media\Music\Track\MA - Hland [FLAC]

In Bencodes replace value, i assume you would need

Label for tracker and path for directory. Just unclear how it woud look. THe idea

is to group a bunch of torrents from the same tracker and change their directory

so i dont have to rehash them all via utorrent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If by subdirectories you mean torrents that each have slightly different pathways (depending on genre/tracker) then i guess benencode is not for me. Little uncertain but based on what you said im assuming that it works so long as all torrents belong to the same basic directory.

Im currently using utorrent 1.8 and perhaps this has been asked, but does the current version

of Utorrent make it is easier when having to move torrents around to different directories without

having to rehash 100s of individual torrents (over 3-4 trackers)?

Wasnt sure how to ask this querie in seach field. Cheers ultima...

Im currently using utorrent 1.8

As long as you're using that version, we don't support you.

Even if Bencode isnt for me, I dont mind rehashing torrents just so long as you could do a batch (within your various "labels") and point them all to the same "download location." Problem im having is that if you try that now, you can only do one at a time because the dl location has to be the specific torrent and not just the folder its contained within.

UT 2.2

Improved set download location/relocate feature (now moves files for you)

Does this have anything to do with my querie?

• 2 months later...

Just signed up to say thank you so much for writing this lovely piece of software :) Was faced with the daunting task of having to resume over 150gb worth of torrents due to my main hard drive failing (with just 1 month out of my warranty, nicely played samsung!) but due to me buying a smaller sized SSD I needed for the downloads to be moved to my NAS & then resumed from there instead.

Would have been a nightmare having to manually edit each one in notepad and from what I've read probably not very safe either...

Also the reason I have so many torrents built up is I have a terrible internet connection, some of these downloads are months, if not years old. So to find/start them all from scratch again...would have been lets just say........very very painful!!!

Anyway another blabbering...

Thanks again Ultima and for the uTorrent team for creating undoubtedly the best torrent client on earth :D

• 3 weeks later...

Some feedback. So far faster than old torrent loader. Could be nice with layout like that torrent loader v1.5 uses. Torrent loader is dead now i'm sure for a few years, no activity at sourceforge.

Can the meta structure be saved with abreviations extended. Or shown extended while editing to know what they all mean (s) (i) (d) and others.

Chokes a bit on a single core p3 1ghz, 1gb mem (download/uploader pc). Memory maxes out 100% for a long duration while loading a single type torrent (not the multi directory type etc) max (d)6 [depth 6 ?]. Size of 3mb and 1mb seen slow loading. While saving is whole lot faster..... Hang abouts.. torrent loader much slower taking twice as long, it gets bogged down while saving not loading. It also maxes out the cpu but does bounce between 90%-100% at all times, except when torrent is loaded then 0% cpu load.

Have had a couple of issues and still checking those, possibly not binencode related atm...

Could be nice with layout like that torrent loader v1.5 uses. Torrent loader is dead now i'm sure for a few years, no activity at sourceforge.

I've already had this discussion before. "BEncode Editor" is "BEncode Editor"; it isn't "Torrent Editor" or whatever-else editor.

Can the meta structure be saved with abreviations extended. Or shown extended while editing to know what they all mean (s) (i) (d) and others.

People asking what they mean haven't read the prerequisite documentation. This editor isn't meant to be taken lightly.

Chokes a bit on a single core p3 1ghz, 1gb mem (download/uploader pc).

I'm fairly certain I've squeezed out as much out of performance as possible given the nature of the codebase. Short of a complete rewrite, there isn't a whole lot I can do about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ultima,

I need to replace only the drive letter in about 400 torrent lines using BENcode. I did a trial on one of them, by selecting one that I was not too concerned if I messed it up, after backing up resume.dat by (after removing the protection line) by editing that particular line, backspacing out the C and replacing it with a G. I am wondering if there is a way I can do this by using replace all, without having to type in the entire path, just the part that is different? This came about when my computer exploded (power supply went bang) and I was able to take my HDD out and put it into an external case and get back to work with my laptop, which does not have enough room for all the torrent data files. I had a bunch of other ones on another external and they are doing just fine there, but there is not enough room on that drive either. So for now, I am keeping them on the external former hard drive.

ETA:

Found this up a few pages

Find F:\, replace with G:\Media\

If you're doing anything more complex than just moving the parent directory (i.e. you're moving subdirectories in, out, around, and about), then BEncode Editor won't be of much use to you.

Took deep breath, did it and it worked. Whoo hoo!

Thanks in advance. Nifty little editor, I like it!

Hello, Ultima. This is a fantastic encoder, but what language was used to write this encoder? And it's not open-source, right? I want to write an analogue in python for personal use, but with the encoding .torrent file causing the problems.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

I have had a simple little problem, and i can't seem to find a solution, and hope someone here might have a clue on how to fix it.

I have originally seeded a lot of torrents from E:\Downloads....some of those have been seeded for years, and have a high seed ratio, which i prefer to sort torrents by, so all my own torrents is at the top.

Now i have changed where i put my torrent files, and i would like to move the old ones over to D:\Torrents\complete torrent files...if i just delete them and add them again, I will lose my ratio.

If i just copy them, it breaks. I have then checked out the resume.dat file, and have seen that the path is in the resume.dat file, its as simple as "e58:E:\Downloads\Adventures of Jo, Zette and Jocko 3-5.torrentd8:".

Sadly, if i change that path, it will also break.

Do anyone know how i can change the path for the torrent file itself? I can't see an option for it in BEncode, but i assume its in there somewhere :)

Hi Ultima,

I'm looking for a way to implement a function in my autoit based ReleaseTool that allows me to modify announce url of torrent files. Is beencode editor still based on autoit? Any way to get a look at your source code or at least any way to implement a command line interface in beencode editor?

Would be nice if you could contact me.

Archived