DHT Function

B-Dog

Hello guys, there is a bit of an argument going on between me and some others about exactly what DHT does...I understand it connects you to other users that are on the IP lists of your peers...but does it increase the chance of finding a 'spyder', in general?

The others were claiming that enabling it allows the 'whole world' to see the torrent...that seems preposterous...

Here was my explanation:

In a closed system (i.e. [Private Tracker]) using DHT during a tracker downtime is perfectly acceptable...all it really does is connect you to peers not already on your IP list...it is useless when the tracker is up, however. I'm not so sure your chances of coming into contact with an anti-p2p agent are increased by enabling DHT, on a public tracker or otherwise, if a torrent is being watched, it's being watched...DHT may increase the chance of contacting a 'spyder', but I believe on safe torrents and private sites there is no problem...except that in the latter it is useless...as stated eariler...

Correct me if I am flawed...I want a definitive explanation...

...and what exactly is a node

Thanks in advance,

B-Dog

but I believe on safe torrents and private sites there is no problem

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/User:The8472/Private_trackers

If a torrent is being watched, it's being watched regardless of the tracker it's being run from.

If a torrent is being watched from a private tracker, you're actually more likely to get nabbed by a spyder than you are on a public torrent because the swarms are smaller.

Archived