Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

PlayWithFire

Three of the torrents that i left to download for the night produced an error

It says cyclic redundancy check

Here's a screenshot in case it makes a difference

i28wvn.jpg

Now, i am suspecting that my harddrive might be failing. I would hear the HD working normaly, and then hear a click, and it would go quiet, and my computer would freeze for a few seconds, and then resume working

This may not be a µTorrent issue, but i still hope you guys can help me out

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I are having this same problem, but what happen is: such an error every time when I test if my port are working fine, I have tried lot of different ports and such the same result "ERROR", every time the file start to download and stops on 80%. more or less, but keep going if I stay pressing STOP and PLAY !!! =(

• 1 month later...

I too had CRC errors popping up all over, did a chkdsk of my cheap terabyte drive overnight and it came up clean. I'm waiting to see if it happens again. How positive are you that cyclic redundancy checks seal the fate of the drive? could it be a fluke or just some corrupted blocks that the windows utility or some other program can fix?

Of course you can repair bad sector, it depends on what causes it.

At least 50% of bad sectors are due to magnetic anomalies and can be fixed but lots of softwares propose only low-level format or zero-zill tools and it's not sufficient. Just use the good software.

But mechanical or electronic issue for a sector is clearly impossible to fix it (or pay a specialized corporate to retrieve your data).

It is important to have a good warranty coverage for your computer, especially the laptop. Whenever, CRC errors are reported, run CHKDSK and get an log on the result of check. You can view the log by using Window's event viewer (RUN: eventvwr.msc) . It will be in the name of winlogon. Please note, that there will be more than one winlogon source. However, if you are click the right one, it will show the drive name and designation and the rest of check result. Even if your computer did not report a CRC error, do the CHKDSK anyway before the warranty run out. If there is any error reported. call the warranty department of your computer maker and get a replacement HD. I extend my Toshiba Qosmio laptop warranty to three years. and when CRC reported an error during download. I did what I said and get a new HD without any fuss. I also make another HD purchase online to upgrade my laptop HD from 100 GB to 250GB after I got my new replacement HD from Toshiba. I pulled the new 100GB replacement HD out and put it in an HD enclosure and made it a free portable USB HD for backup. a good deal by all reckoning. The bottom line is get good extend warranty and do not hesitate to make a claim. Run CHKDSK regularly, make back up often. Don't wait to act when CRC error reported, or you will regret.

ok here is what happened with me:

Everything was working fine till yesterday when all of a sudden firefox went crazy opening the sites of the extensions each time i ran it... and finally windows was taking ages to boot... the HD led on my comp was glowing bright red during this but i, suspecting a software glitch, formatted and reinstalled windows... took the whole day to set it back up... and now this... got a CRC error on two torrents after 50 mins of downloading... and come to think of it even i heard a click yesterday... my PC turned three this august... so guess it is time for a new HD then... will run chkdsk and spinrite... hope that works... anyway thanks a lot folks... for saving my data...

:)

Archived