Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

PlayWithFire

hmmm... i got this error too ... but my HDD is not failing.. didnt even hear a clicking noise on my computer (errrr... except on my clicking noise on my mouse :P) ..

it happens while i use utorrent v1.8.4 well it all happens always when i did upgrade my client..

i just deleted the specific file where utorrent fails to CRC it... and viola working again... ^_^ (though before i done it.. i rechecked my HDD for bad sector **through-physical-disc-check** and 0 bad sectors were found.. and no corrupted files on my HDD... ^_^) hmm why?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@dnniwa485

I am not sure the windows chkdsk is all that good... I dont remember getting any such bad sectors either... but my disk was failing... Klite too had problems playing movies... got a new HD and that set everything right... just dig a little deeper... dont trust windows...

[;)]

• 2 months later...

Hey.. if anyone can enlighten me on this.. i was downloading a torrent..it had the CRC error..then after that error my system never recovered it restarted from the loading windows page... had to reinstall the window again..i work on XP btw.. after windows reinstall i put 2 different torrents and there was no error and both completed.. but when i put the same torrent again..i had the same CRC error...now some details about the culprit torrent. it was multi file torrent.from which i select files then downloaded..when the first CRC error came i had last four files of the torrent on download..then the second time it was only one..after the CRC the error i tried to copy the file to some place else on my HDD but windows also gave me the same CRC error.. and yeah from that very torrent file i had downloaded its previous 20 files..

so is there a chance that the torrent file had the problem or my HDD is dying..?? and i ran the CHKDSK..will it help...??

• 2 months later...

I had this problem(CRC) error, and it was not my hard drive failing. I was downloading a large torrent(54.1 GBs) with multiple files. I used the pieces tab and just watched. I was able to determine which file was causing the CRC error and D/Led just that file on another torrent. With UTorrent closed, I replaced the offending file, makeing sure to rename it to the exact file name of the replaced file.Before I closed UTorrent, I used the files tab to right click the offending file and chose don't download. After restarting UTorrent, the offending CRC error disappeared. I must say this took quite a while and a lot of patience to fix. When you restart Utorrent after replacing the offending file, you have to force start the torrent. Before I did this, I was getting the error about every ten minutes. It's been running for ten hours now without a hiccup. After restarting a torrent of this size on multiple clients and different hard drives, I looked for another way around this error.for obvious reasons. 54.1 GBs takes a long time. I got tired of starting over.This worked for me, but I promise nothing for your particular situation.

No! It was one specific file that was causing the CRC error. I tried to download the whole 54.1 GB torrent on several different clients and different hard drives. The offending file was the same. I found the same file in a different torrent and replaced the offending file with the workable file. I renamed the file exactly as the bad file's name. The file was the same video, just another source with a slightly different name. The hard drives were not failing. It would be highly coincidental for two brand new hard drives to fail at the same file multiple times on different clients. All I'm offering is what worked for me. By the way, no CRC error since.

Same computer!! I have two ext WD HDDs. One 160 GB, and one 500 GB. I got the 500 GB because of space limitations. Both of them are less than 6 months old. That's why I started looking for a different cause for the CRC error. I tried several times on both HDDs as the d/l directory( one at a time, of course) to d/l that rather large Torrent. I would get to the same percentage before CRC error. That's when I started to look at the pieces tab. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it did for me. There was one piece that would complete right before CRC error and then go back one block. The piece number on the left corresponds to a number range in the files tab. That's how I found the offending file. After replacing the file(renaming exactly), the CRC error disappeared. This wouldn't work for a single file torrent. This torrent had approximately 200 files. I tried to just delete the bad file, hoping it would just redownload, but I got an error that wouldn't let me continue.

NO! I don't have a bad sector. I followed all the fixes listed here. I have run chkdsk /r. There were no problems. I had the CRC error at the same place in the d/l on different HDDs.. I'm not sure why you are so insistent on me having a hardware problem. Why would I get the same error at the same palce in a torrent on different HDDs? I have run thorough disk checking tools, with no bad sectors being found. In fact no errors whatsoever were found on my hardware.

As I said in an earlier reply, I have checked ot my hardware numerous times with different apps. There's nothing wrong with my hardware.. It was one file causing the problem. If you can't or won't admit the possibility that my particular circumstance was not hardware related, So Be It! I'm not going to drive myself crazy repeatedly looking for trouble that, according to all the scans and tests, isn't there.

• 4 months later...

I don't believe this to be a dying hard drive (mine was replaced less than a year ago), I think it's a bug in uTorrent when handling large files. I've been getting this since I started clearing several hundred Gig of files off my computer HD to make way for some new large torrents already partially downloaded. Everything was fine until I halted the downloads for a couple of days while I set up the new external storage drive. After I cleared the drive space I resumed the DL to my computer HD as before (ie. NOT to the new external drive). Shifting such a large chunk of data seems to have upset uTorrent as I've had this error come up on three partly downloaded files (of 37Gb, 41.6Gb and 12Gb respectively). Doing a forced check solved the problem on all but one first time. After 3 attempts that also continued the DL. but has since had the error repeat again. I suspect that if I did a registry clean it would reset things but I'm reluctant to do one while downloading such a large block of data. The price of impatience I guess.

Every file that gets written to a hard drive get a small checksum written at the end of it. Every time that file gets read or written it compares it to that original checksum. If it doesn't match then it knows something went wrong and the file is corrupt. That is only from windows and the drive. uTorrent has nothing to do with it.

If is very possible that your drive could die after a year. It does happen, In fact I've seen it quite a few times. For me they were all seagate drives within the last 3 years, but that was just my experience, Personally I haven't bought another seagate drive since then and I haven't had a drive crash either but it all depends on how they were made.

I just think that there are too many people getting this message for us to all be suffering dying hard drives. I've never believed that just because Windows decides to throw up an error message that it has to be correct, and my computer's drive was replaced in January which, while imminent failure is a possibility, makes it highly unlikely. I'm more inclined to believe there is some sort of conflict going on between Utorrent and my proxy server when it's under extreme loading, possibly a data drop out triggering an error response from Windoze. That doesn't mean the drive is failing, just that the software is struggling to cope with the load. That said, all my computers files are backed up online every night anyway so it isn't a huge problem if it does peg out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems none of us were quite right with this, but not a million miles off. Not a hard drive fault but not Utorrent bug either. As I mentioned, it was occuring with large downloads. Turns out it was a problem with the heavy loading on the computer. Large download + proxy server + open browser + outlook express + couple of security programs + auto backup software all running together apparently = huge headache for the motherboard which has now died and is why I am typing this on the iPhone. No problem though, its covered by a service plan and all the hard drive contents are backed up online. That's through Carbonite Pro, to answer Wolfyv2's question.

• 2 months later...

I know everyone says a CRC error is my HDD and not uT. But I've d/led thousands of torrents and hundreds of GBs and NEVER got a CRC error until I upgraded to the newest uT. I even was uploading a couple of files that I had d/led and u/led with the older version and was uping fine with. But once I upgraded to the newest version I got the CRC error. And now I get it with a torrent evey now and then but not all of them. I ran chkdsk.

I just can't believe that I never got this error before and as soon as I upgrade uT my hdd starts to fail? Is the newest uT more sensitive to CRC errors?

I just copied all my mp3s from the drive (just in case) and they all copied fine with no errors.

Archived