"Force Start" overrules "turn off" by scheduler?

Spikx

I recently noticed the following:

If you force a download in µtorrent, the torrent will be downloaded at full speed, even if the scheduler turns off every other torrent. But if the scheduler is limiting the torrents, the forced torrent will be also limited.

This doesn't seem very logical to me, is this a bug or working as intended?

It's not exactly me who's forcing them, I set up a server at home, where everyone could add torrents through the Web UI and I configured the scheduler to turn off the downloads during the day and limit them in the evening.

Well and sometimes someone thinks he wants to force a download and then the whole system fails ;). Is it may be possible to disable the option to Force Start downloads via the Web UI?

• 1 month later...

I once had to use a shared computer and it was really frustrating because people were always pausing torrents or messing around with settings. I didn't have the authority to lock up the system. If you can't create a separate user account you might try hiding uTorrent like I did. This worked fine with most less-savvy people. Make yourself a little icon that is the same color as the blue task bar. Select in preferences "minimize to tray" and use a skin to change the look of uTorrent. Now replace the icon that is used in the tray with a solid blue one and voila' uT disappears from sight. (clicking on the blank space opens uT) Now this obviously isn't bullit proof but it makes it seem that uT is not running. This solved my problem but maybe you should try an extra step but i only thought of it now so it may not work. If you can run two copies of uT at the same time then let one be visible and hide the other. Let everyone mess around with the visible version and keep the hidden one secret. Of course there are better ways to achieve this but you may have to dig harder to find the answers. Good-luck.:)

Well, in my case the computer where µtorrent runs is a file server (and not shared or anything) where everyone can access the µtorrent WebUI to conveniently download torrents. Unfortunately, this way every user has the possibility to stop/pause/force torrents and change some settings.

the webui is not a convenient way for anyone to download torrents. In its current implementation there is no way to change the save-directory. If you're talking about people physically on the console as Switeck mentioned "Boss-Key" is a nice way to hide the windows. NO it will still show in any task manager, but it is better than leaving the icon in the system tray for

Unfortunately, this way every user has the possibility to stop/pause/force torrents and change some settings.

the webui is not a convenient way for anyone to download torrents. In its current implementation there is no way to change the save-directory.

It's a very convenient way to download torrents on a remote station, where you can centrally control the bandwidth and distribute the downloaded files. It's just like any other remote-torrent application like you often find on NAS systems.

So limit access to µTorrent to those who understand how µTorrent/bittorrent works, point all users @ the Manual (which explains the queueing system), or only allow adding from the console.

Let me rephrase what I said before then, the webui is an inefficient way (in the current implementation) to deal with a multi-user environment. Better?

In any case this I hope is all moot, and that we'll see an update from Directrix after 1.8 locks down features.

Archived