The -opposite- of bloatware?

Seriema

I got really curious on µTorrent because of it being so small. And in Wikipedia there was a quote on how the makers were so tired of "bloatware".

Then I come here. To the official site and forum. And I have -never- in my life seen so many Gooooooogle ads all over the page as I've seen here! And I'm even counting the fake hijacking sites.

So how come? The opposite of bloatware bittorrent client has a gigantic ad-bloated website?.. Surely a simple donation button should suffice?..

same here, zero adverts.

I'm using firefox too but in your case I suspect something else is wrong.

There is much adware out there that can insert adverts into your browsing experience.

Can you try browsing to this website on a machine with a newish install of windows that is hopefully pretty clean.

so how come? The opposite of bloatware bittorrent client has a gigantic ad-bloated website?.. Surely a simple donation button should suffice?..

because donations rarely works so ads is better,

buy maybe when µTorrent because more popular and more users comes here,

then they maybe can start to use donations instead.

Anyway, I use Adblock in Firefox so I don't see the ads :P

I got really curious on µTorrent because of it being so small. And in Wikipedia there was a quote on how the makers were so tired of "bloatware".

Then I come here. To the official site and forum. And I have -never- in my life seen so many Gooooooogle ads all over the page as I've seen here! And I'm even counting the fake hijacking sites.

So how come? The opposite of bloatware bittorrent client has a gigantic ad-bloated website?.. Surely a simple donation button should suffice?..

Whaaat?!? Are you serious?!? :/ What is the purpose of this miserable thread anyway? :| Are you jealous that µTorrent is getting attention and you're not? You're a weird being... :o

This remids me of an old Burger King commercial

where the old lady stands at the counter and asks

Where is the beef?

I suggest s/o close this pointless thread or at least change the topic into s/th more suitable

perhaps " I hate ads and have no idea how to block them"

:D :D :D

-DG

Heh, got quite a mixed reaction here in this thread =)

Maybe I should explain a bit better. I too am a programmer and have a few projects on SourceForge (meaning, they're open source and free). And I too hate "bloatware" where the programmer completely ignores memory usage and just makes a big system-hogging application. So µTorrent appealed to me as the person that I am. That's why I got a bit shocked about seeing 3 google ad bars on the front page (I've never seen more than 1 before), that many is just tacky. On my page I have one simple donation button, I didn't make the app nor make it free to get money (hence, it's free). So cludging up the page by putting up Google ads (that often include links to other Torrents) right next to real links is just mildly confusing but mostly ugly in a sad attempt to gain some money on a application that's free. But most importantly, it makes a bloated page for a non-bloated application...

Maybe I'm just quirky, but I certanly feel the webpage gives a feeling that's the complete opposite of the application. Henche the thread name... =)

And I'm glad µTorrent has so many followers, but if you like the app why not just donate? if you think google ads are OK, why does the page need *3* bars on the first page, does that make you click more? heh

I suggest either remove all bars or leave just one. Don't make the homepage of a wellmade application look like a scriptkiddie website. ;)

Personally I don't see the issue with the Google ads on the site in the long run. If you have a problem with it then bookmark directly to the downloads page and go there to check on new releases, you only get the one ad there as opposed to the 3 on the main page.

My real question is why is it such a big deal in the first place. Google ads are pretty mild in comparison to other ad generated revenue sources. You mentioned Sourceforge and your own site, do you pay for your own hosting? I don't remember Sourceforge charging you to host files (or has that changed recently? I'm not an expert on using SF as my codeing ability is pretty horrible) but if you aren't paying for the excessive bandwidth that a popular program will generate then I can't see as how you have much to complain about. If you do pay for your own hosting and bandwidth usage then I will gladly retract my statements. But if you do then on the average how much bandwidth do you go through in a month? Not seem aggressive but I think that freeware developers have the right to do whatever is necessary (within reason) to maintain stability both hosting and bandwidth wise. I would rather that they were focusing on creating a great and usable program and not tied up with worrying about "donation drives" when cash flow gets thin.

Now all statements above are my personal opinions (so they aren't worth too much) and I don't mean to offend anyone so if I have I apologize in advance, that's my 1.5 cents, take it or leave it.

EDIT: on a side note the title of this topic is very misleading too. I totally thought this was going to be a thread about liteware/greenware not the µtorrent site.

flatrabbit: good point =) still, does 3 bars really give more money? and why do they have to be embedded in the page so it "looks like a part of it", the only reason to do that is to trick the users into clicking...

A small note to all people using ad blockers: using a adblocker kinda proves my point... also, it's not -me- seeing the ads that's a problem, it's the webpage of a well made small application being so bloated and giving a bad and wrongfull impression of the app.

the topic made you read, didn't it? so it worked :P (if I could I would add "(about the website)" to the title, but apperently you can't edit titles to your own threads...)

Archived