finding a good port

brinx

first of all,sorry about my englisch.

i am using utorrent a long time now,and i am verry happy about it.

now i have some problems with finding a better port for utorrent,can sombody help me?

i don't have a static ip and i wil not using the portforwarding.

any sugestions are welkom?

thanks all

greetings brinx-belgium

Bonjour, Comma sa Va? (Pardon MY French. Hee Hee!)

Read the info below or try this link to find a guide to help you choose the best port.

http://www.utorrent.com/guides.php

Manually forwarding a port

If UPnP is not available or does not work, it will be necessary to forward the port manually. Since we want to forward a single port, we need to set the listen port for µTorrent:

To set a single port, navigate to Options > Preferences > Connections

Click "random port" once, and note the port number provided. This will be the port number you will be forwarding in your router. (You may also assign a port number of your choice)

Uncheck "Randomize port each time µTorrent starts." The port number will no longer change each time µTorrent is started.

Setting up a static IP

Routers work by attributing a "dynamic IP" to each computer when it connects to the router. Since this IP is dynamic it can, and often does change each time. The router selects which IP to attribute from a list of available IPs called the DHCP range. This range is expressed as either: Starting IP / ending IP, or Starting IP and number of IPs. (192.154.10.1 to 192.154.10.100 or 192.154.10.1 with 100 IPs available). In order to setup a static IP for your computer it is important to select one outside of this range in order to avoid it being attributed to another computer by the router. Finding out what the DHCP range can be hard work since I have no router specific instructions to direct you to the correct menu. You'll have to find it on your own (you may refer to your router's manual for more information).

To enter the router configuration screens : Windows Start button > Run, type "cmd /k; ipconfig /all" WITHOUT the quotes.

From the DOS window that will open, copy the default gateway number to your web browser and hit enter.

In the login window enter your username / password (if you have not set one try: admin/admin admin/blank blank/admin or even blank/blank)

Navigate the menus and screens until you find the DHCP range.

Since many routers have limits on the number of IPs they can handle (regardless of the number of computers connected). Reduce the DHCP range by one. (Reduce the ending IP by one or reduce the number of IP by one). Make a note of the newly available IP (which is outside the range); this is what you will use for a static IP further.

Exit the router configuration and follow the instructions at the Portforward Static IP Guide to setup your operating system to use a static ip.

Archived