Better encryption

wingo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup its a kind of magic

my ISP begun throttle torrent a week ago, and with deluge (only with deluge) i can download at max speed of my connection (230kb/s)

I have tried (besides utorrent) azureus, bitcomet, bittornado, bitspirt, mainline.... and with those i only download at 30kbs

sorry my english :)

yup its a kind of magic

my ISP begun throttle torrent a week ago, and with deluge (only with deluge) i can download at max speed of my connection (230kb/s)

I have tried (besides utorrent) azureus, bitcomet, bittornado, bitspirt, mainline.... and with those i only download at 30kbs

sorry my english :)

Can you use Wireshark? We are in need of a few captures of Deluge and uTorrent traffic.

First sorry for my bad English, it is not my first language.

I have a ISP that limit torrent traffic to 30KBps from 7am to 8pm (GMT -3). After reading this post i installed deluge and now I can download at 70~150KBps, not like the 280KBps after 8pm but is a lot better than before.

I have installed wireshark and soon I will post the logs. To do the logs just start the program and after start the torrents? and use both, utorrent and deluge, at same time and same torrent?

If you need a VM to perform some tests I can install one here.

If it can help, I know that my ISP use some cisco routers to do traffic shaping and maybe something else.

Hm, just a (silly) thought - in utorrent begining of new download usually results in storm of revdns queries... does deluge resolve ip adresses or is it leaving unresolved (as seen in this screenshot)

And I know in utorrent you can turn IP resolving off, the question is what is the default settings (I can't remember right now)

uTorrent resolves by default, but only if the peer tab is open. But again, this sort of connection profiling would result in Deluge being throttled when uTorrent is running at the same time.

Hello,

This is my first message here. Since last week, I'm experiencing the same problem with my ISP (I'm also from Brazil). I have a 8Mbps line and I always maxed out my connection using uTorrent with private trackers (download at ~780KB/s). Now I can't get over 20KB/s. It's not a bottleneck or network congestion because I can still download at full speeds from international FTP servers, so it's a bittorrent issue.

I read this post and decided to try Deluge and watch the behavior. I played a bit with the settings and after I set it to encrypt full stream the speeds shot way up, similar to what I used to get using uTorrent before.

I tested using the same torrent on both clients.

I can provide logs or a VNC connection if a developer is interested in this matter. What would be the best?

Wireshark logs of the connection stream comparing uT and Deluge.

A recommended setup is to max at 20 concurrent connections.

Also a full description of encryption settings.

The thing I noticed about Deluge was the ability to connect to peers which maxed my download, which didn't connect to uT, which is why I gave up on trying to provide proof.

Edit: the logs need to include enough data to get to peak download speed. I would recommend changing options to increment logfiles after 5 or 10 MiB and keep as many logfiles as you have space for. (I only needed 2 5 MiB logfiles to capture stream information to hit my max download of 4 Mbit)

I can provide logs or a VNC connection if a developer is interested in this matter. What would be the best?

Fantastic! Logs would obviously be easier if you're comfortable capturing them. Download Wireshark if you don't have it already, and see if you can get it to capture.

Specifically, we need logs of uTorrent and Deluge with the exact same settings (and a record of what those settings were) in these configurations:

* Forced (and incoming encrypted only)

* Enabled (and incoming encrypted only)

* Enabled (and incoming encrypted optional)

* Disabled

Run each until their speed levels out, with maximum connections of 20 (or as low as you can get while still hitting max speed in the best case).

i have instaled cfosspeed and with utorrent or other clients connections are show as ''torrent'', with deluge the connection are ''unknown'' i think If the p2p client can send the connection packs as ''unknown'' the packs can bypass the traffic shapping

i really miss utorrent, and i hope download torrent with utorrent someday again...

i have instaled cfosspeed and with utorrent or other clients connections are show as ''torrent'', with deluge the connection are ''unknown'' i think If the p2p client can send the connection packs as ''unknown'' the packs can bypass the traffic shapping

Hm. I tried cFosSpeed, but it's not very realtime... It also takes some amount of time for it to classify - uTorrent shows up as "unknown" at first too, and encrypted data classified as "unknown" forever.

Is there anything better?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my logs of one torrent file downloaded with both clients with all four settings described above, sorry for the large size, the logs without throttling got pretty big while it reached maximum speed =( part 1, part 2

My ISP is also UPC, and only deluge got to full speed at all settings but on forced, other five was capped at ~100kbps.

I have to say Deluge crashes with 2/5 torrents I throw at it... I don't care if it boosts my download from 2 Mbit to 4 Mbit, if I can't USE the thing. I don't see a reason to tout it as anything but a newer client whose only benefit over uT (at the moment) is cross-platform usability through multiple GUI options

Deluge works like a charm on my mac but it wont run on my pc.

Windows

" Please note that the Windows version of Deluge is quite a bit less stable than our Linux/Unix client, as Deluge is developed on Linux. Actually, it is probably safe to say that everything is less stable on Windows, not just Deluge :-p "

They do have a point

I didn't say that it was unstable. I said that when I tried it for swarm testing (prior to realizing I'm mainly suffering from upload starvation) it wouldn't even load the torrent and would INSTEAD crash... note that it was perfectly valid according to Ultima's bencoded file editor, and was previously loaded and re-loads fine into uT :P

Thanks dagla! Hopefully that helps the developers with insight into the experienced differences.

Deluge is with out doubt faster on my connection.

The file: OOo_2.3.1_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe

utorrent: Dls 138.5kbs varying a lot to max 156.3kbs

Deluge: Dls 156.3kbs varying a few kbs to max 158.5kbs

Whats going on with utorrents stream as both programs are set up the same ?

Deluge download compleated in 8mins and 45sec

utorrent download completed in 13mins and 12sec

utorrent took at least 25sec to get past the 100kbs mark

deluge took 9sec and was up at the 150kbs mark

I did this three times and every time was ruffly the same.

That's not a large enough variance to be useful repeteor. General internet flux can account for ... under 4% throughput. What IS experienced by some user reports is an IN-ability to beat a certain cap (maximum shaping profile) the ISP enforces with uT, but which Deluge is not affected. Unfortunately you are not crippled in this way by your ISP.

Archived