Lost path?

Maz101

Can anyone help me - when downloading I keep getting an error message saying the system cannot find the path specified.

The first time this happened a download was about 67% complete - now it pops up after just a few minutes.

Please explain in simpleton-speak!

(oh! I'm new to forums too so hope this is the right thing to do!)

I am using Vista. It worked fine on XP, and I have tried installing the most current version on uTorrent on two Vista computers, and I still have the same problem. I've even tried creating the temp directory it looks for, and it doesn't work either, and I've tried keeping the default directory where uTorrent tries to download too, and changing it, and I have the problem, no matter what I do. I have the problem as soon as I click to open the torrent, and it happens on all torrents that I've tried to open.

I found the fix for this everyone....make sure that you are certain that your antivirus and internet security software is up-to-date before doing this and

ONLY DO THIS STEP and not alter any other security settings for the User account for the root drive.

Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn Off User Controls -> Uncheck the box and click OK -> Restart as prompted  

Presto!!!!  Took some major research and trial and error, but it works!  This is the fix for VISTA users only.

Well, when I called the techs at HP, they had no clew what I was even talking about, and when I talked to the techs where I have my extended service plan, they said that unfortunately, this is the only way they have found, but it causes a lot of security problems, if you haven't got any internet security programs at all. If anybody finds a less risky way, I'd love to hear about it! I'd rather use something less risky! I did specifically ask how to set permissions, and they said that this is the only way. Basically, Microsoft says that in order to have full control of our computers, we have to put those computers at risk. Everything comes at a price!

• 2 weeks later...

Simply reinstalling your search program doesn't always work. I tried reinstalling that, and it didn't work, then that was when I tried reinstalling uTorrent a million and a half times, and still got nowhere and had to change the security settings on my computer. If that works for some people, please reinstall your search program because it is a better alternative to changing any security settings!

Archived