Its not "u"torrent. Its Mutorrent

Jonnybrx

I just realized that the greek letter that is used in the name of this wonderful client is Mu. The lower case version is the µ that you always see, and the capital version just looks like M. This letter is not the greek alternative for u, it is the alternative for M. But since the Mu looks like a u we are calling it utorrent. But really its not a u. Just to let everyone know. And there is no letter for U in the greek alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

I just realized that the greek letter that is used in the name of this wonderful client is Mu. The lower case version is the µ that you always see, and the capital version just looks like M. This letter is not the greek alternative for u, it is the alternative for M. But since the Mu looks like a u we are calling it utorrent. But really its not a u. Just to let everyone know. And there is no letter for U in the greek alphabet.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...
µtorrent.com is read as c2b5torrent.com by domain registars. hahaha

Actually I just tried this today to see if Unicode characters were allowed in domain names (in theory they are: IDN). Entering ht tp://www.µtorrent.com in a browser will redirect you to ht tp://www.µtorrent.com/perl/main.pl which just shows "Not Found". Running it through whois returns it as being registered to VeriSign. Pinging it gives you the same IP as shown in the whois: 198.41.1.35. Going to ht tp://198.41.1.35/ brings you to ht tp://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?url=198.41.1.35&host=198.41.1.35. (Astute experimenters will understand what's going on here because they'll have noticed that when you enter µtorrent.com into a browser, the status bar will flash auto.search.msn.com ;)) In fact, using any foreign characters in a URL will likely bring your browser to a VeriSign page that prompts you to install i-Nav to allow you browse to URLs with foreign characters.

For those that do not know, µtorrent.com becomes c2b5torrent.com because µ when entered as 0181 is a double-wide UNICODE character. That means that it takes TWO bytes, or 16 Bits to represent it. The first is 0xC2 (194), and the second is 0xB5 (181). When you run that address through an application or app module that does not support Unicode, it mangles the character. Some will turn it into "c2b5torrent", others will turn it into "-¦torrent" (that last one contains two box-drawing characters from IBM's extended ASCII set, and there is no Unicode equivalent so international users may not see them.)

Wouldn't a cow say "mootor--" No' date=' I can't finish that. It's too corny.[/quote']

No, please. :)

Hm, hundredth post I've made that should be ignored? Didn't realize this is about pronounciation... er, I dunno what else it could have been about other than that, but it never registered in my mind... Sorry xD

Sidenote: I wish they had a strikethrough BBCode... just for people like me lol

Original Message

Doesn't really matter, as ludde himself isn't 100% sure what he'd call it. In the end, it's µTorrent -- not uTorrent, not microTorrent, not MuTorrent, not whatever other alternative names there are =P

Archon02: NFK.

Utlimate: Ergo, when we pronounce it we should not use the name of the letter μ nor utter the prefix "micro" (and certainly not "you" nor "oo"), but rather we should pronounce the letter μ by the sound it represents? So we should say "mtorrent," starting with closed lips?

Archived