Upload speed stuck at 225k. Can anyone help?

blacktusjack

Hello.

I'm having a problem with my upload speeds.

utorrent will never upload at anything better than 225k. Sometimes for a brief moment it will hit 230k and then fall right back down.

This is the speed I get even when seeding only and not downloading!

My ISP claims I should have a 5mb upload. Speed test indicates an 850k upload. Either way should I be getting more than 225k? Help!

I've already raised the max allowance of half-open connections -- both in windows and utorrent.

Is there anything else I can do?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

ISP is probably stating speeds in megabits/sec while your upload speeds are in KiloBYTES/sec.

Speed tests vary from results with line speeds in kilobits/sec to file transfer speeds in KiloBYTES/sec.

So, a 5 megabits/sec upload should not even be capable of 850 KiloBYTES/sec, unless your ISP is offering burst speeds beyond normal max. (Fiber lines are theroetically capable of very high speeds, so that's not the likely bottleneck.)

µTorrent does have some pipelining issues with the ram cache, though it's more to do with bugs in Windows itself than µTorrent. v1.8 should redesign around a lot of the windows problems by not using windows' caching.

Bad settings balance will make the max upload speeds worse, as either too few upload slots are allowed to smoothly sustain your set upload speed...or the many connections at once causes marginal networking hardware and software to slow down (and possibly crash), crippling your speeds.

Archived