WiseRatio™ implementation

torrent (like other apps of this kind) works great if people also upload to others, that's a well known fact but not everyone keep the downloaded file available to others for an amout of time or bytes transfered back on the network.

While using ABC I was setting a 50% ratio minimum or sometimes more depending on the size of the file I downloaded.

So why not implement in µtorrent an intelligent ratio sharing settings?

Something like:

If torrent filesize is smaller than 200MB, share up to 200%

If torrent filesize is greater than 2GB, share up to 50%

For all torrents between 200MB and 2GB share up to 100%

So filesize numbers would be user inputs and ratio numbers would be a dropdown list where 50% is a minimum up to infinite. The last line just repeat previous choosen numbers, except the ratio that is selectable.

Of course, someone on a dialup would use very different filesize numbers...

That way I don't have to change how I want to upload for each file since it would be automatic and like I want it to be.

Also most of the providers let us download more than upload so with such ratio managing it would be a lot easier to do something else to think about and help to share back file without worries.

Don't worry about the ™, it's mine. :-) Anyway, my IP is bind to this message so my provider know who am I. www.rhialto.com

Well, not a single comment.

So I don't get caught excedding bandwith limit, I must watch utorrent work and close it when finished if I have to get away the computer.

I would like to leave it running without worry if the ratios where manageable...

Under AZ there's a similar function called AutoPilot, that I'm using a lot. For trackers that I need to maintain a ratio of 1 I setup my Autopilot to get the ratio up to 1.2, for others trackers that are public I keep the to the defaut, that I have set to 1, and I can still change the "Max Share Ratio" on a per torrent basis. I can set that I want to keep seeding until I reach a ratio of x and until there's y seeder, this is ideal when you seed your own material, so you make sure you don't overseed and then you can have an other torrent seeded.

Nah man the clients nowadays are fine as they are. Just set a global upload limit and let the client take care of the downloads and uploads.

Do I have to add that this WiseRatio thing would be user switchable? May be turned on or off if someone want to use it or not.

Ratio management would really help people to relax and let share from what they just grabbed instead of shutting down the client as soon as they can.

Under AZ there's a similar function called AutoPilot, that I'm using a lot. For trackers that I need to maintain a ratio of 1 I setup my Autopilot to get the ratio up to 1.2, for others trackers that are public I keep the to the defaut, that I have set to 1, and I can still change the "Max Share Ratio" on a per torrent basis. I can set that I want to keep seeding until I reach a ratio of x and until there's y seeder, this is ideal when you seed your own material, so you make sure you don't overseed and then you can have an other torrent seeded.

Auto pilot is better then his idea he is speaking of just classing a torrent size at a ratio. Autopilot lets you class torrents by tracker and soon size as well hope he adds the features to flag a torrent as a user upload.

Nah man the clients nowadays are fine as they are. Just set a global upload limit and let the client take care of the downloads and uploads.

I think what he's trying to say is that an upload limit should be implemented, meaning, when the torrent reaches a ratio of let's say 1.2, it stops uploading. I don't see anything similar to that in uTorrent right now. It would be useful.

Really for me the simplest torrent program could even be more simplified than utorrent is now.

The most important:

- able to download (doh!)

- the fastest as you can (so no speed option)

- a share ratio (so you can upload as fast as you can too without worry to bust)

One you clicked to download a file, all what I care is the ratio because otherwise than that I let it do the job of downloading the file in the tray. I mean once it is downloading, what else you need?

I just look up once in a while if file is complete or not. (An idea to make the icon change color or flash near the clock when a file is complete would be a great addition).

So there is already lot of options in Preferences that I don't use. Ok, I like to choose the download path. For network option, I don't really care for speed because I want it the fastest and I don't mind sharing it the fastest too BUT I don't want to bust my limit so I need a share ratio.

I don't know about the scheduler, it's a great thing, I mean a great piece of coding but needed? Dunno... I never used it and *I* don't need it for sure. How many of you are using it?

I have mixed thoughts about this suggestion. I can understand the idea behind it, where you upload more when the files are small because it's cheap, but on the other hand small files will always have many more seeders than leechers because the time it takes to complete the download is very small. So, using the already implemented seeding rules for ratio and time spent seeding, the problem seems to be solved fairly well without adding unnecessary complexity.

I have mixed thoughts about this suggestion. I can understand the idea behind it, where you upload more when the files are small because it's cheap, but on the other hand small files will always have many more seeders than leechers because the time it takes to complete the download is very small. So, using the already implemented seeding rules for ratio and time spent seeding, the problem seems to be solved fairly well without adding unnecessary complexity.

Hi vurlix,

This came to my mind also but then I thought about this... most of the time 2GB download are way longer to download, in most case (nort all) it takes more than 24 hours to get so you will be online more longer where you are available to upload. For small files (ex. 140MB), you get them faster but not sure you will stay online, say, once you reached 300% so when you gave back 3 times I think you'll delete it from your list.

I'm downloading a 4.3GB now and it says 6 days for ETA. Yet my ratio is .7 so if I don't watch closely I may end up giving back 4GB of it... In this particular case I would agree up to 3GB and save 1GB for other files I have to share but now I'm approching my monthly limit.

id recomend implementing the Bitcomet feature where each torrent is seeded for a percent 50-inf and adding a shutdown feature so when the task is fully downloaded and reaching the target % it shutsdown the computer, this will allow the torrent to only shutdown once it reaches that % otherwise it would need to be a manual stop.

just a thought.

even though vurlix just shot this down, I still think it would be a very nice feature to have. I'm a control freak and this would help me establish my ratios where I want them.

EXACTLY, i can upload 10GB/month and thus when I download a 3GB file and I've set to share 50% of all 2GB torrent and more then I know I will already have 1GB uploaded, see?

If I got a 400MB file and have it set to 150% then I know I will have another 600MB upoaded.

Yet I know I would have uploaded (when ratio reached) 1.6GB for the 2.4GB I took.

Nothing can be easier to manage, or please share your idea.

I suggest you get a new isp if you have a monthly limit.

I'm really not alone with a monthly limit and this limit does not bother me at all. I can get 20GB and give 10GB.

Another easier trick would be o set 50% globally. I can go this way if vurilx is not interested by my idea. But almost never I download 20GB so with better management I would be able to give more if I was able to select different ratio according to filesize.

Archived