Bit of a problem!

Amuro

This morning i was downloading some torrents at fine speeds etc. I come back later and load up some torrents, nothing, not even on bit comet, the connection is fully dead, not even 1kb downloaded on any torrent, heres what I mean in the pic below.

---Network is fine, ports are forwarded, nothing changed in router/firewall settings for over 9 days.

utorrent8ny.th.jpg

Uhm...that's a very strange problem indeed. :| Hmm...I'm just thinking something (I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem, but I'll ask anyway): is there any chance your J: drive could be a network device or some other kind of removable drive? That could be the problem here... :/

That explains it. :P

The default firmware and almost all other firmware replacements still use default settings.

The problem is that the default settings track old connections for FIVE days, and the router will eventually hang/stall/crash when you run P2P because of this.

I don't know if DD-WRT allows you to put in a startup script, but if it does, put this startup script and reboot the router:

echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
echo "600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts

You could switch to HyperWRT :D

http://tofu.polarcloud.com/HyperWRT_G_tofu11.zip

HyperWRT2.1b1 tofu11 (for the WRT54G)

just nuke the nvram after upgrading with

Run Command (on Administration page)
erase nvram;reboot

and re-configure it. :P the startup script is on that same page...

Anyway, I think I found how DD-WRT can support start-up scripts... if you can figure out how it works.

http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Startup_Scripts

• 2 weeks later...

Okay here is how to get it working with DD-WRT v23 (12/16/05):

1. Do not use the web interface method as it cuts off part of the commands.

2. Enable SSH (Admin, Services) as we are going to use the NVRAM method @ http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.php?title=Startup_Scripts#NVRAM_Method

3. Login to the router with an SSH client (root/your password).

4. Type:

~ # nvram set rc_startup="
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
> echo '600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts
> "
~ # nvram commit
~ # reboot

The system is going down NOW !!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.

5. Note the ' instead of " on the third command line. Using " on the third command line closes the set command (as on last line), meaning that the last command will get cut off prematurely.

6. Make sure your "Maximum Ports" is set to 4096 on the Management page.

7. You can check the settings worked by loggin in via SSH and viewing the contents of each fileas below or using the "nvram get rc_startup" command.

~ # more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses

8. Enjoy instant uTorrent spead increase from pretty much zero on each torrent to full speed :D

A note to the forum staff - I installed DD-WRT v23 (12/16/05) this morning and it does appear to require these steps contrary to point 1.7 of your FAQ "(does not require the following steps, these settings are built into the firmware)"

Archived