used to go at 300-400 kbps now stuck at 30

phily880

I have been using utorrent for a long time and my usuale download speed on a good torrent is arround 300-400 kbps i have made no setting changes my max download speed setting is unlimited. it dosent matter how many torrents im downloading my max speed is 30 al together if im downloading 1 torrent it will download at 30 kbps if im downloading 2 they will both download at 15 kbps it will change here and there from like 26-30 but it will never go above help would be greatly apreciated thanks

I have the same problem. Booming fast until a couple days ago and now can't get past 30kbs. I also have Sympatico High Speed, if this is indeed the work of our ISP and it's not a temporary thing, I'll probably have to look into switching over to another ISP. Rogers maybe? This is a bummer because I love Sympatico's consistent speed. But if I'm used to getting a 500kbs download rate from certain private sites that are a pain to get on and sole purpose of existing is to provide peers with stupid fast download rates I think there is definitely something Bell must do for us, possibly slash monthly prices. After all, we are paying for a "High Speed" DSL connection and if they can not provide that what's going to stop current Sympatico users from switching to an ISP that does? Here's hoping it's just the ISP doing a hardware update or something, even though nothing like this has happened in the past...Let's keep in touch on this matter everyone. I think I'll give Bell a ring tomorrow about this matter.

Rogers is definitely not the ISP you should switch to. Unfortunately, we used to recommend Sympatico Bell as an alternative to Rogers, as Rogers is among the most notorious ISPs (it was one of the earliest ISPs to throttle). Looks like we can no longer recommend Sympatico... :|

Damn, and i thought that i was the only one experiencing this. I've even patched my half-open connections, dling some crap to make my conn better, but all that did was kill my connection for a day >_>

So if anyone finds a solution then please post.

P.S. Maybe it has something to do with a new windows update.

EDIT: What system are you guys, with slow speeds, running?

I'm on Vista (Utlimate)

damn, same thing here, this started yesterday, i use to download at 150 , now it never pass 30kb/s . it is not the isp provider you have, cause i am down here in chile with a chilean provider and i have the same problem. and the speed test still give me good results, so it cant be that, .....

when this first happened, i went and reseted my modem, so it went back to 150 again.....24 hours later the problem appears again, and now i cant pass 30kb/s!!

i have xp sp2, up speed is around 1300kb/s .

ive tried downgrading u torrent, and changed the configuration, still nothing,

ive been trying to fix this the whole day, and no result, i would really appreaciate if someone find any way to fix this.

Leo

I have the same problem, fast speeds and then this week it's been at 30kb/s most of the time. My situation is kinda different because for a couple of years I never had a speed of above 180kb/s, I though that was the fastest by connection would allow. Then about two months ago I was getting 400-500kb/s. Now I'm down to 30kb/s. Sympatico is messing with me.

I have high speed internet with Sympatico. I get throttled from 300kB/s down to 30kB/s. It starts everday around 4:30pm until about 2:30am when it goes back up to 300KB/s. This throttling started about 4 weeks ago.

I read a news article on another website where Sympatico management admitted that they throttle down during high use periods. This admission came after someone complained on the Sympatico forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto here, High speed my posterior. I tried the uTorrent fix in the setuo guide - did not work.

Go to Options > Preferences > BitTorrent. Set Outgoing under Protocol Encryption to Enable, check "Allow incoming legacy connections".

Here's the Sympatico forum address [http://www.supportcommunity.sympatico.ca/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10138051] where MANY MANY MANY people have been and still are complaining about the Nov throttle shuffle. Videotron does not do it (yet), and for those in Ottawa, I am not sure if Storm.ca or Magma does it as well. - Good Luck - to all of us!

If they are actively enforcing traffic shaping during periods of high use, and they TELL you about it, I know it's an inconvenience, but it's better than what happens down in the US on Comcast. They only recently admitted to interfering with traffic, and even then the limits they put vary by location and region.

I for one wished they WOULD tell us "yes we are not allowing anyone to consume > 2 MBit download between the hours of XX and YY localtime."

Lol, the problem you see with ISPs in this information hungry age, BitTorrent is being targeted, but there are many more applications which use more bandwidth such as video on demand... and I'm not even going to bring up the whole idea of youtube/XX (insert other FLV streaming site)...

^^ Yeah, thanks pawprint, for the forum address... very interesting (albeit frustrating) reading.

Just registered here, to add my "ditto". Sympatico High Speed, reduced to < 30kB/s, where it used to be 400+kB/s... of course I too was NOT advised of this change of terms / reduction in the service quality.

So whilst I shop for another ISP, can someone work on a way to cloak torrents from this "Internet Traffic Management" that the so-called 'Sympatico Manager' writes of in the Bell forum? Or is that a retarded suggestion...

Archived