uTorrent takes up all bandwith

Stone6000

Hi

I was wondering why uTorrent 1.7.5 takes up ALL my 500 kb/s bandwith even while it's just downloading 80 kb/s (and uploading set to max. 50 kb/s).

I have a 5 Mbit/1Mbit connection wich allows me to download at approx 530 kb/s, but when uTorrent is downloading with maybe only 80 kb/s, I still have major problems just browsing the internet with IE7. It's like uTorrent takes up all the bandwith even when it's not using all for downloading.

Do you know what I'm trying to say here? hehe Hope so.

I can easily download with >500 kb/s with uTorrent, so there is no speed problem with uTorrent itself.

(Win XP Home SP2 with Kaspersky Internet Security 6)

Best regards,

Steen

Denmark

Try these "CONSERVATIVE SETTINGS CHANGES":

Turn off DHT (both kinds).

Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers Window. (That's expensive window-dressing considering it doesn't help download+upload speeds any.)

Reduce half open connection max to maybe 1-4. (You're not firewalled in µTorrent, right? ...so it shouldn't hurt as much as you might think!)

Disable resolve country flags in advanced.

Disable "Enable Local Peer Discovery".

If you've manually port forwarded your router, or don't have a router, Disable UPnP in µTorrent.

Lastly, reduce total connections to 100 or less.

...maybe even as low as 20 per torrent, though 40 is probably better.

Hello Switeck!

Thanks for the advice. It actually helped! Now I can surf the internet normally while sharing torrents. Very nice! Although the download speed is now only half of what it was before, I know what parameters to adjust from now on, and I will finetune my uTorrent now.

Thanks y'all!

Since you know it's one of the settings you changed that nerfed your speeds, you'll probably be able to get back to 80% of the speed you had before without all the lag.

My guess is you probably need to raise connections per torrent a bit -- maybe to 60.

...and also raise total connections to 50 x total number of allowed active torrents at once.

If that causes a problem still, cut the total connections back and consider getting fewer torrents at once.

All these settings changes are done to make µTorrent run stably on marginal networking hardware and software. Something you have is a "weak link" causing all the headaches you've experienced so far. :(

It's a shame that µTorrent still has a reputation as a "bandwidth hog" considering how quietly it can run.

I have a similar problem. When I have uT running, regardless of whether it's uploading/downloading nothing, my Net surfing literally crawls. It's the same with Firefox, Mozilla or IE. Soon as I close uT, all's ok. I've tried some of the modifications suggested, but to no avail. I was running uT 1.6-1 B489, but moved to 1.7.5, when I realised the former wasn't connecting to the pool very well. The bandwidth problem doesn't change no matter which version of uT I use.

The one thing I haven't been able to find is this: Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers

Window

Where do I see this???

Thanks in advance...MB

Doesn't seem to help much:(

Processor is P4, 3.20GHz, 1GB RAM. I´m on cable: 400kb/32kb. Regardless of the settings, browsing is torture. I've set upload speed to automatic, and even tried it at 1kb, but the effect is the same.

Current settings are as follows, though I've toyed with them to no avail:

Resolve IPs is disabled.

Global max nº of connections: 100

Max nº of connected peers/torrent: 60

Nº of upload slots/torrent: 4

Use of additional slots if upload speed < 90% is checked.

DHT is unchecked.

Enable local peer discovery is unchecked.

Peer.resolve.country is set to false.

Enable UPnP port mapping is unchecked.

Enable NAT-PMP is checked.

I didn't use to have this problem until fairly recently. I'm not sure what has changed. I've run Spybot, Ad-Aware, RogueRemover, SUPERAntiSpyware, CCleaner. AVAST Antivirus.

Like I mentioned before, shutting uT completely solves the browsing problems immediately.

Thanks for all your help!

Marginal Networking software and hardware = JUST PLAIN JUNK!

Like Zone Alarm software firewall...THEY will even tell you it doesn't work "great" with file-sharing programs. :P

USB modems...all of them are total crap when connected via USB.

Most wireless connections, whether it be a wireless ISP or wireless router connecting to a computer via a wireless networking card. They just don't sustain connections as well as wires. Satellite ISPs are typically the WORST in this regard...and 100% firewalled too!

D-Link routers are often garbage, especially as far as DHT is concerned. And their DMZ and UPnP support is buggy by design.

Belkin routers are even WORSE than D-Link routers. They're barely fit for web surfing IMO. :(

Even some Linksys routers have minor issues...though latest firmware (especially 3rd party firmware) helps.

Maybe you're getting newer torrents and DHT support that tends to be "noisier" than older torrents where 20 peers+seeds was "a lot" rather than "a few"?

My problem is exacty the opposite, my utorrent used to cause internet browsing to go slower and get satisfying download speed (30-50kBps ) but now my net surfing is normal and my downloads are very slow (10KBps).

I have recently been using tp-link router, is it possible that the router is limiting utorrent bandwith?

(port forwarded, average speed 1600/160Kbps)

I have tried many speed guides, this is my last resort.

Archived