Totally Invisible

epp

Okey guys, i have 2 scenarios.

The first is me at my school, im at a university and everything is open. I want to download some torrents while im at school, the torrents download fine, but i dont want to get caught. How does the university detect torrents usually? I have had friends tell me that they limited their download and upload speeds but they still got caught. So how can i hide this? Will the encryption settings hide it for sure?

Second is im installing a media center on a server at my fraternity house. I'm going to use it to download movies to the server for everyone to stream to their laptops. I'm using a private torrent tracker, but whats another way to help hide so i dont get the house in trouble?

The detect it through network monitors. Without header encryption they can detect it. With header encryption alarms bells might start ringing and there are other ways to find out. And the sheer amount of two-way traffic BitTorrent generates (compared to normal internet uses) is almost certainly gonna alert them.

Downloading illegal material always exposes you to certain risks especially inside the US. There are no ways to really annihilate the danger, only to provide a false sense of protection.

Well sort of. Its the least worse way.

Detecting BitTorrent traffic without header encryption is a piece of cake.

But a user (thats you) generating (for example) 1 MB/s download and 100kb/s upload for extended periods of time while using encrypted headers kinda stands out too...

The thing is some universities keep a tight leach on their network and some don't. Its probably best to ask around if others tried BitTorrent there.

In any case I would read up on the rules and read what happens when u get caught. If the penalty is severe I wouldn't risk torrenting at all it.

Archived