can't figure out port forwarding

wakko101

Up until recently, I was using bitcomet for downloading, it was working pretty well, but every once in a while it would slow down to turtle speed. So I decided to switch back to utorrent. It worked for a bit, but then went slow as well, and I was always getting that little red light at the bottom. So, I've been trying to get the port forwarding configuration right, but still can't get a green light!

I have a speedstream 5242 modem, and I was told by my ISP's tech guy that I don't need to port forward it (I read elsewhere that this particular model is a modem/router combo but that it is locked as a modem by the ISP).

I'm also hooked up to a D-Link wbr-1310 wireless router, and for that I did try to configure for port forwarding. I'm pretty sure that I did everything correctly (according to portforward.com) but I'm still not getting a green light, and my internet keeps crashing (ie. it stops working and I can't open any new pages).

Can anyone give me some insight as to what the proper settings are for making sure my ports are open? This is very frustrating....

Since my speedstream is set up as just a modem, and it's connected to my wireless router, do I have to set up a static IP address for it, as well? (when I'm connected by wireless and not directly to the Speedstream, it always tells me that my local area connection has been disabled, but do I still have to set it up for port forwarding?)

My knowledge of this sort of stuff is limited, so any help/advice would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Wakko. =)

Unfortunately, your ISP (Sympatico Bell) throttles BitTorrent. I doubt there's much you can do about it, even if you manage to forward your port... :/

If you still want to try... try connecting your computer directly to the SpeedStream. Does the port remain closed? And um, regarding the connection drops, check the first link in my signature regarding interrupted connections.

is there an isp in toronto that doesn't throttle bittorrent, that you know of, anyway?

another question....I've connected my laptop directly to the speedstream, and I'm still not getting an open port. I thought that if it's just a modem, then it should be alright. Am I missing something?

cheers,

=)

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, I"m using symantic antivirus, and I've also got my windows firewall turned on (although I'm fairly certain I've made utorrent an execption.) Is there something that I need to do in symantic to open the port?

It's still telling me that the port is not open, and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

=)

Archived