Automatic bandwidth restriction

NiteShdw

In the Preferences dialog, you could add an "automatic" setting for upload bandwidth restriction. Automatic mode would change the bandwidth limitation based on a PING response from a server, like google.com. The automatic mode would attempt to maintain a low PING value while maximizing the upload speed. This would help users new to BitTorrent or unfamiliar with their upload limits.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using ping to set your upload rate acually works very well, atleast for me on DSL. There's a plugin for Azureus called Auto Speed that does just this and I've been using it for ages. As for setting your upload rate being difficult isn't the point. I share my connection with other people and I don't want it to plummet and die when they start to upload. With this function I can just leave it running without having to worry about not uploading as much as I possibly can. In fact, this function is so important to me that I still use Azureus over uTorrent. Even though uTorrent is so much better in every other regard.

I'll second this. The AutoSpeed plugin is the only thing I miss in uTorrent compared to Azureus. As with Pixelz, I'm on DSL and it works wonders for me. If I am downloading, it automatically sets my upload speed a bit lower as to not disrupt my download speed, and when I'm not donwloading it raises it again. Also, I have a webserver on the same connection, and AutoSpeed lowers my upload when that server is under load (which is not very often as it's a somewhat private server with max 4-5 users) as to not slow down the users speed on the webserver.

So I'd very much like to see something like AutoSpeed implemented in uTorrent. To make a quick rundown on how it works, it pings a given IP at regular intervals, and if the ping is higher than a given value (default 130, I think), it lowers your upload by 2-3 kbps, and likewise raise it when the ping is lower than the target amount. And don't say it doesn't do anything, because it very obviously does, at least on my system.

Yes, that would work. I was pointing out that ideal bandwidth value could not be calculated based on just a ping. However, it can be adjusted in small increments to find a suitable value, as you pointed out.. Not sure what kind of host could be used to ping so often, though.

Hm... I haven't used Azureus in the longest time (several years), so I never knew about this feature... sounds interesting though, and I wouldn't mind having it ;]

About which host to ping... maybe you can set a default one (Google sounds like a good bet =]), and allow users to change in the Advanced Options page?

Yeah, great find dude. That program doesn't at all do what we described here. It is completely irrelevant to this thread.

Thanks for thread-crapping. :) I offered a possible solution for those who were having connection problems in the first place. Perhaps their connection needed some tweaking in order to get the best out of it. I know it has nothing to do with µTorrent, but in certain cases, it will help people with their connection problems. Kthxbye. :)

This would be REALLY effective for the hordes of newbies that can't limit upload correctly, and is also very useful for people with low upstream which can get clogged with large amounts of conections. A constant ping with low TTL (first or second hop only) would work well.

See Emule for examples of such an feature.

has anyone used CFosSpeed before? i had an old version that did wonders for my connection.. it automatically gave priorities to certain programs, and somehow, allowed me to run at FULL download and upload speed.. i'm on a 384k/256k DSL line, and i would download at 42kb/s and upload at 26kb/s AT THE SAME TIME (i have a Samurize config that showed me absolutely no speed spikes whatsoever, just pure straight inbound and outbound flow).. when properly configured (giving certain applications top priority), i could also play network games without lag while downloading and uploading.. it gave top priority to HTTP by default, meaning i could browse while downloading/uploading just as if my connection was being unused.. truly great program..

but as of recent versions, it doesn't work that good anymore.. i don't know what's wrong, so i've stopped using it since..

having this built in uTorrent would be helpful, but i'm not sure i'd need it once CFosSpeed starts working again..

This feature will benefit alot ppl. We have 3 ppl sharing this apartment, and a 2mbits upload bandwidth. All of us use BT, but we don't know if other ppl are using the bandwidth at the same time. Therefore, it was pain in the ass to set the global upload rate everytime. The solution we found was in autospeed plugin of azureus, which is based on ping time.

I do think another feature should be implemented with this one, to make it more efficient. "Upload slots per torrent" should be adjusted automatically according to the "current global upload rate". User should be able to define that on average, what rate should a upload be. The program will then use that "average rate" and "global upload rate" to calculate "number of global upload slots". divide that by "number of current active torrents", and set "upload slots per torrent" to that value.

I do think another feature should be implemented with this one, to make it more efficient. "Upload slots per torrent" should be adjusted automatically according to the "current global upload rate". User should be able to define that on average, what rate should a upload be. The program will then use that "average rate" and "global upload rate" to calculate "number of global upload slots". divide that by "number of current active torrents", and set "upload slots per torrent" to that value.

I second this motion.

• 2 months later...

The Auto Speed plugin in Azureus works absolutely great. If I max my upload with bittorrent, download speed can sometimes be a fraction of what should be possible. So the plugin always keeps upload at a optimal speed, allowing downloads to go as fast as they can. It's like magic... it's only this feature and some more advanced seeding rules for finished torrents that I miss from Azureus.

Hopefully this will be an ongoing discussion, I don't think most people know that something like this is even possible. I've only seen it in eMule and Azureus. If people realized how good it works, more would like to have it. It's very user-friendly, makes downloads faster _and_ makes people upload more. It's a win-win situation.

I can download at 1MB/s if I lower my ul to around 30kB/s, but I can only download at ~200 kB/s if I upload at 95. With Azureus and the auto-speed plugin, I can download, say a 700 MB file in 20 minutes, and start seeding all of it directly after that, and gain a high ratio in some hours. If I stay on my normal upload speed, it takes maybe 1.5 hour to get the file, and after the same total time (leeching+seeding) as with the auto-speed plugin, I have a _lower_ ratio in the end, and have to seed a longer time to gain the same.

It's also very useful if you run anything else than bittorrent on your computer, say an ftp-server for your friends, or another p2p app like soulseek. If you suddenly get some extra upload from such an app, your web browsing can suffer because of high network latency. With the auto-speed thing, upload is quickly reduced for the short period necessary, and you don't notice a thing.

I can't find anything negative with this functionality. Can someone else?

Archived