Automatic bandwidth restriction

NiteShdw

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Agouti:

The (afaik planned for 1.7) automatic speed of µtorrent is not gonna be better then a decent router with a decent QoS implementation. Either your router sucks at QoS, it isn't set it up properly or it is working optimal and µtorrent auto speed probably isn't going to be able to improve on it.

Plugin support is discussed over and over again and isn't going to be implemented.

A DECENT implementation of automatic speed would probably require more code then the download graphs and "restrict access to the following IP's" together. Besides ipfilter.dat does support ranges and PeerGuardian2 is a whole other story of pro's and con's.

@Lord Alderaan

Actually, good automatic throttling at uTorrent's level is always going to better then throttling at the router's level - even if you had the most ruthless and efficient QoS, uTorrent would be uploading marginally faster - but it would have incredible latency for all it's traffic.

Also, since I, and a reasonable portion of bittorrentor's use encryption, you can't set up QoS based on any (decent) packet filtering rules, without stuffing something else up - the whole idea of the encryption is to make it impractical (for ISP's) to do any packet filtering on BT traffic.

As for my router, I'm not sure why I can't get it to be a tad more ruthless, even with myself on min priority and other MACs on max, BT still lags them up. Going to flash it with a homebrew one of these days.

*edit*

The (afaik planned for 1.7) automatic speed

Fantastic.

Reminds me, the whole bandwidth priority thing is another great feature of uT, which could very easily of gotten classified as auto speed has been by some, that is as bloat, for all the same reasons.

Archived