"Powershare" function

Talisman

Hi,

in my opinion µtorrent is a really good client. So I thank you for your great work.

I'm only still missing some helpful features.

The most important one is a feature similiar to the "Powershare" function in some eMule clients or the option "upload limit if global limit has been reached" in Azureus. (I'm not sure whether this is the exact English translation.)

That function would help not to waste bandwith by reserving it for a file with the highest upload priority that is not being requested at the moment.

That's why I would be very glad if it was possible to implement this feature in µtorrent.

Regards,

Talisman

Maybe I should give an example in order to explain the intention of my request:

Upload capacity: 80 KB/s

File A: high priority

File B: low priority

-If nobody asks for file A, file B should be uploaded using the full bandwith.

-If someone requests file A, but only takes half of my bandwith, the other half should be used for file B.

-If one or more peers request/s file A and this/these peer/s could take my whole bandwith, nothing should be uploaded for file B.

The actual situation (not having used individual torrent settings except of bandwith priority):

If there are less requests for file A (e.g. 5)than for file B (e.g. 50), then about 30-60 KB/s - that means more than half of my upload capacity - are uploaded for file B.

To avoid this I have to stop the upload of file B or limit its bandwith even if file A is not being requested at the moment.

Sometimes I'm the only seeder of a file, so it's more important to upload this file than any other files.

But if there are no leechers for this file for some hours (or if they don't need my full bandwith), I consider it as senseless having turned my computer on and being connected to the Internet without producing any traffic (or with having less traffic than possible) instead of spending my upload for some other file and ratio interests.

The effect might be caused by a better routing to those peers interested in file B. But if I stop the file B that has 50 leechers, the upload of file A often increases up to my global limit.

So I have to decide whether I want to risk to upload to much for the wrong file or to temporarily waste my bandwith.

This problem could only be solved by something like a powershare function.

(And I know I'm not the only person missing such a feature.)

Set the High Priority File A torrent's upload slots to 4 or more and the Low Priority File B torrent's upload slots to only 1 or 2. Also have use additional upload slots if upload speed <90% checked.

So if File A torrent is active, it will have 2-4 times as many upload slots active AND have high priority on top of that. If only File B torrent is active, µTorrent will max out your upload speed to it with as few upload slots as possible.

There will still be some bandwidth loss, as µTorrent doesn't instantly open new upload slots if File B torrent isn't pulling enough and File A torrent is dead...but it's far better than micromanaging it IMO. :)

Archived