NAT error (yes I read faq/searched forums/etc...)

jaxyouthna

I am having the same problem. :(

Well noobseeder I cant do that. Seeing as router and cable modem are the same. ;)

Using ISP provided router, the Motorola SBG1000.

All ports are forward like they are suppose to be.

Hardware firewall is disabled. Do not even have a software firewall installed and xp firewall is disabled.

http://canyouseeme.org/ Results:

Success: I can see your service on 65. on port (53346)

Your ISP is not blocking port 53346

http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl Results:

Fail!

Successfully connected, but didn't get proper a BitTorrent client response. Make sure you entered a correct hash ID that corresponds to the active torrent on your system. Most likely, your network is properly configured, but repeat this test with a valid hash ID to be sure.

Response was: ''

:(

Router log reports no blocking of any kind.

Make sure your firewall is allowing the new versions. Some firewalls do allows based on the file's checksum, so every upgrade would force you to re-add the allow for the program.

Make sure the port didn't get unforwarded (configuration reset, etc).

If you changed the port at any time, make sure you forwarded the new one.

Found the problem. My DSL modem (Westel Wirespeed) has NAT and is essentially a router. I assumed that simply beacuse it had only one ethernet connection in the back that it was a modem in the old fashion sense(dial-up). So I had two routers in line and was double NATted. The research I have done into resolving the infamous NAT error told me that this is bad (generally bad for any network.) I configured my DSL modem for bridged connection and used my routers (D-link DI-514) PPPoE client with the same port forwarding settings I have had the entire time.

I get incoming connections now (no port number in peers) and network OK occasionally. The problem was NOT my ZA firewall. I allowed exceptions for the uTorrent port in the firewall setting and programs control by special rules in ZA (just to be sure.)

ZA does flag the newer versions of uTorrent and I have been updating the special rules for them as they are installed.

Thanks everyone for the help (although I found the DSL modem revelation in a online Westell product description)

• 2 years later...

Archived