Derbus

This isn't specifically related to uTorrent, but it's a bittorrent question.

Something i've always wondered was how the client handles download/upload information, while the tracker goes offline mid session.

I've read in a number of FAQs, saying that as long as you keep the client active, the correct data will be reported once the tracker comes back online. I've found that this wasn't the case in a number of scenarios.

Is the above statement just some kind of ploy to keep users connected, and not hammering the tracker (via manual updates?), if it is true.. it leads me to another question.

How does the tracker differentiate between data held by the uTorrent, and "faked statistics" (ie: ratio cheating).

BTFAQ probably wouldn't mention it, since it's a client-dependent behavior. µTorrent does attempt to keep statistics until it gets a positive response from the tracker (after which it flushes the downloaded/uploaded data). Not sure what to say about it not being the case for you :/

Something i've always wondered was how the client handles download/upload information, while the tracker goes offline mid session.

Announces aren't client-dependent, but behavior in this kind of situation is. If a client has the announce code badly implemented, it won't care about whether a tracker actually gets the data, and will just send and flush.

Archived