Download speed problems.

Lori

I just spent hours looking for help speeding up my downloads, and then even more hours doing what I learned from this forum, and ended up with half as much speed as before. I can't understand why torrents are so slow, compared to the time it takes to download from TV links on the internet. Sure it's frustrating when the links don't work, and the subtitles suck, but paying for and dealing with this is worse, and for a person with OCD when it comes to my computer, like me, it's sucking the life out of me. And please don't respond to me like the thousands of response I've already read. Believe me when I say I have never felt compelled to write in a forum until now, after all of my time and effort reading all the forums on the subject, with failed success. it would only piss me off if I saw the same "help" like I was to dense not to have done my research.

I have a slower cable connection & my Torrents download at anywhere between 20 & 50kb/s, that's all I can expect but I think it depends on the download source but I could be wrong. In other words if I had DSL, T1 or T3 it might be faster? I remember downloading from Napster P2P in the US from someone with a Dial up & it took forever but from someone with DSL or T1 it was fast.

Are you at least downloading 50% as fast as you're uploading?

After all, if you're downloading faster than you're uploading...someone else isn't.

...and if others are, sometimes that "someone else" is you. :(

Did you run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the correct upload speed settings for your connection?

Switeck, Yes I have learned from my research like I said in my first post. I am a very generous person, and I loved the "idea" of torrents, so I gave what I received, and then some. I thank you for the time you have put into trying to help us all, but again like I said, for real, do you think the speed guide wasn't the first thing I tried, as well as all the other guides, links,troubleshoots, and tweaks, offered there in? If I had seen the ("Did you run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the correct upload speed settings for your connection?") response from you early I would have gone postal, pardon the pun.

mc1548, I have dsl connection, and I have a clear understanding of what it takes to get a "good" download, and there's the rub, should be a better way. Your cable should be faster then my dsl. I was getting 60 to 65kb/s, until I got all my help, now I can't get better then 40kb/s, even after I did a systems restore.

Please Moderators come up with something new, because as I have seen ALOT of others are as frustrated as I. I see the torrents going by the way side, which is to bad, good idea, poorly executed.

try to download a test file like open office torrent and see if you get full download speeds I did it an ddownlaoded my full 612kB/s.

I set my upload aat 64 to 76 and its alwaays uploading that fast. I does upload faster if I open it up I am not sure how much faster but well over 100kB/s

I did check out the open office torrent but that was at about 4:00 this am, but I am fried now after only a couple hours sleep, like I said OCD. Could you be more specific, with details about what to do, because I could not find a reference again.

Thank you Ghost2501

Lori,

Give me some numbers...official reported + measured speed of your connection, and settings you're using in µTorrent.

You seem to be on VDSL seemingly from Midwest Telnet ISP, but that doesn't narrow it down much.

I can't even find a price guide to even guess what your line's rated for.

mc1548,

You seem to be in the Philippines...so, you'll probably need an even lower Speed Guide setting to prevent overrunning whatever tiny-small monthly bandwidth cap/quota you have.

Even 12 KiloBYTES/sec constant speed for 1 day is about 1 GB of traffic.

µTorrent's Scheduler can try to get the most download+upload speed you can during the night if you want to try that.

Switeck,

I really didn't want to get into this again but here is the information I got from dslreport.com. I hope it is what you need. I do appreciate your consideration, I don't mean to give you anymore grief it seems you get plenty. Please understand I am new to utorrent, been dealing for about three months. I didn't understand the workings of the whole thing. I finally sat down sometime yesterday and started studying and have not stopped. So pardon my frustration and lack of enthusiasm.

It's ok, had you not answered it wasn't like I could stop you. :P

BitTorrent lives, breathes, and DIES by how well it can upload.

Most people only care about their download, and let their upload suffer...which ironically makes their download suffer too!

Many of the BitTorrent guides are hopelessly wrong, but I don't blame you for trying to listen to those "experts".

So, from your numbers...

It's a little strange your download was only about 2x your upload speed...though that's possibly due to you being far from the telephone central office. vDSL max speeds drop off rapidly with distance.

If you don't want a fast-downloading torrent to lag your web surfing, you might want to put download speed max at 50-60 KiloBYTES/sec in µTorrent. It's not required though, leaving download set to 0 (unlimited) is ok even for your connection.

With an average speed result of 315 kilobits/sec, you've only got about 35 KiloBYTES/sec usable upload speed. That's a problem, since with the upload speed setting you have set at 47 KiloBYTES/sec...you were probably overloading it so badly that I'm not surprised if download suffered terribly. net.max_halfopen 40 probably hurt it further, since when your line is already overloaded...trying to open 40 new connections all at once on top of that probably isn't going to help. :lol:

Lower upload speed to only 30 KiloBYTES/sec. You can enable the alternate upload speed when not downloading (when only seeding) as high as 35 KiloBYTES/sec if you want, just make sure your line can actually sustain that without problems.

Lower net.max_halfopen back to the default of 8. If you're firewalled in µTorrent, that's probably going to seem a little low/slow...but if that's the case and you can fix the firewall problem you'd see better speeds anyway.

Few people understand the importance of upload slots. That's why it's easiest for me to usually just tell people to run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the nearest (but below) their measured upload bandwidth/speed max. But your line (at 315k upload) falls between the cracks...xx/256k is rather low and xx/384k is a bit too high. So I suggest only 3 upload slots if you like to do lots of torrents at once or 4 if not. If you're only doing 1 torrent at a time, set upload slots as high as 8. In any case, leave the "use additional upload slots" checked.

Thank You for your info, I will try what you advise. But later! My computer OCD has maxed me out, and I need a day of rest. I do feel how ever, that I did do a lot of trial and error settings and got the speed as fast as I could, with what I got. I could maybe except never getting above 65Ks download, but I was jealous of others who were complaining about speeds of 100Ks, which set me on this path. FYI, I just moved into this over the rainbow land, and am pissed I don't have choices in my services. I will post to catch you up on my progress.....LATER!! NEED SLEEP!!! Thank You and Good Night.

Hello,

Just signed up with U torrent today and very frustrated already. I have been on here for about two hours and have not downloaded 1 thing. I have two files downloading(or suppose to be downloading) and the completed percentage is O. I have done the Speed Guide and it did tell me that i had an error on the port location that i am currently on . I have tried to follow the guide for forwarding ports and its not registering. I did not anticipate this to be this difficult. Can someone please help me or explain to me in a way that i can understand:(

Lachele, first do you know the network setup? Whether you are behind a router or not...

Second, if so is the router upnp enabled?

Third, What colour is the status icon in µT example pix here

Fourth, with no upnp (or pmp if on apple hardware) do you know the router login to be able to customize the port forwarding settings?

FIfth you will need to know your computer's IP address Start --> Run --> "CMD" [Enter] "ipconfig" [Enter] You want "IP Address". Save this for later.

Next attempt to setup static IP address on your router for that IP. There may be a section in the router for "Access Control" or "MAC access". This will KEEP that "IP address" permanently so you don't need to do this each time it changes or you power off the computer.

Following you will need to go to "port forwarding" in the router. Choose any port (or a range to accomodate other tasks). This will be the port uT will use. It is wise to keep it > 1000 and most people use the range > 50000. (Note: max port is 65534)

Afterwords it's a process of entering in the port in Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent Connection . Be advised Ctrl-G -> Test Port isn't always 100% accurate.

To verify whether the port is opened, download from Open Office p2p site and while downloading, does the icon change to a green circle with check or a red circle with !

I to am brand new to uTorrent and am having similar problems.

I have the green light, and have set up a port in my router specifically following this guide:

Click here.

I also attempted to set the upload speed but it was terrible confusing.

I tested my speeds at testmy.net, three times. I got 38 kB/s, 43 kB/s, and 43 KB/s. I am confused on how that translates to my Speed Guide. I currently have it set to 256k, though I feel that is wrong.

I am connected to a wireless LAN, but the original internet comes from a cable modem. I hope that made sense...

I am downloading the testing torrent Slackware and it has a download speed of 0.1 KB/s-2.7 KB/s, staying toward the 0.1 KB/s end more often than not.

One file I tried to download, being 1.39 GB tells me I have infinity to wait. Comforting..

Thanks!

A consistent 40 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed is much closer to 384 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth.

However if you're on ISPs like British Telecom, Cox, ComCast, Rogers, SingTel, or Tiscali...BitTorrent speeds will ALWAYS suffer and seldom come close to what the connection is rated for.

There's no seeds, you're connected to 28 out of the possibly 33 peers. (Not all the peers shown in parenthesis are guaranteed to be active or even connected to the torrent anymore.)

All told, the availability is only 90.1% of the total torrent even among all the peers you're connected to.

Let me guess...you have 90.1% of the torrent too?

There's nothing you can fix, if a seed doesn't show up neither you NOR the 28 peers you're connected to can EVER finish that torrent.

Slow that torrent's upload way down if you like...just make sure you set upload slots for it to 1 when you do, so you're not advertising upload speeds you won't give.

Then find a new torrent.

Maybe in a few hours/days a seed will come back.

The torrent may also be a fake, though usually the fake torrents have lots of "seeds" that nobody connects to.

hey guys,

i also have just started to torrent my little heart out. but it seems that all i get is a max down load of 6kb/s. I have adsl2 with iinet. i have check all the basic settings down load is set to 250kb/s yet it is still slow. could my house mates change any settings to limit my d/ls?...

please explain if yous can

cheers

bananaman_QLD,

Any chance you're getting the "Download Limited" warning message in the bottom left hand of µTorrent's window?

If so, it's due to upload speed being set too low for BitTorrent to run efficiently.

The only fix for that is raise upload speed at least slightly.

Archived