FireFox and utorrent

Vitae

This happens both at work and at home.

FireFox is not the primary browser and is updated to the current version.

utorrent is also at the current version (but this issue has been occuring for a while with diff versions of both)

If FireFox crashes or hangs and I need to kill the process, utorrent will ALWAYS shut down as if I killed it as well.

Am I the only one this happens to? I could understand it if it happened either at work OR at home due to something else with the computer, but given that it happens at both...

I have no idea what you just said...

I start FireFox and utorrent up by clicking the short cut on my desktop for FF and the file itself for utorrent.

utorrent could be either running in minimized so that all i see it the icon on the systray or fully open.

I can open FF and then utorrent, or utorrent and then FF.

I could download a torrent, save it to my desktop (OR anywhere), reboot, double click the .torrent file, or open utorrent, double click the .torrent, or open utorrent and click the File>Open torrent thing...at any point in time i can open FF....

There's no correlation between them. no matter which is done in what order in what way, if FF crashes or i have to kill the process, utorrent will go right along with it.

You are correct, there is no reason why the crash should be linked in that manner. Are you sure the process is gone? Open up Task Manager and verify after you kill firefox that the utorrent process disappears as well. Is it possible it is put into boss key mode? What version of Firefox is it currently. I understand you say it has been happening through versions. What are you doing which causes firefox to crash? I have personally never seen firefox crash without using all system RAM or due to a recently-installed buggy addon. Are you running any uT addons inside the firefox profile?

yeah...thats what I mean by killing the process...i open up task manager, go to Processes, right click FF choose End Process Tree...

So I know it's totally killed, and yes utorrent does disappear.

What am i doing? anything that would cause it..a malformed web page, a failed plugin...any reason that any web browser would crash for.

At work I don't have any plugins.

sorry, "utorrent addons inside the firefox profile"? don't know what ya mean. I didn't even know there WAS a utorrent addon for firefox...

kill process as opposed to kill process tree?

I will try tonight. since can't run utorrent at work anymore cause I got caught. ;-)

That wouldn't help any when FF crashes, but I will try tonight.

I seem to recall doing that once, and it also killed utorrent, but not 100% sure.

Another thing to check.. and I would recommend it for the power user for various tasks http://www.sysinternals.com (yes they were bought up by microsoft, no it doesn't affect their programs). You want Process explorer. It shows parent/child processes... which is why I was incredulous before.

Please go about your business with uT / FF as usual and when it crashes/freezes and you're about to kill it. 1) open process explorer 2) check and see if uT is a child process of firefox (it will be indented) 3) if so, double click on utorrent's entry this will popup a window showing statistics. Screenshot the pane, or copy the image fields for launch parameters. 4) if its not a child process, then there's something really hinky with your setup.

Archived