utorrent-1.2.3-beta-358 (Unicode)

ludde

Be warned that Windows 95/98 are limited to 100 max concurrent connections, unless you apply the following registry tweak.

Open the registry editor, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

You must create the following entry, it is not present by default.

MaxConnections = 32-bit number

Data Type: String

Specifies the maximum number of concurrent connections. The default is 100. The maximum is 512.

If you went over 100 connections, this might explain it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Markuz Nightwind: try updating your driver too to the latest WHQL Catalyst. ;)

If these things don't help, try loosening your RAM timings a bit, I've seen it mentioned a few times somewhere...

I've already the latest Omega drivers (with an IGP 320M I cannot use official catalyst) and I've tried also DNA and some others catalyst modified but no success. I've no problems with other applications and older builds of utorrent, so I think it must be some bug introduced in the new build ^^

When (and if) I have time, i will try to post an advanced crash report, so any devs could esamine it and try to find what causes it.

Thanks anyway for trying to help ^^

ok, the exact error message is this:

"***Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80501CD0, 0xF11E955C, 0x00000000)"

I'm running XP sp2, stable Nvidia drivers 71.84 and SB Audigy 2 official drivers. Other than this I don't think I have any funny programs running in the background :)

Both utorrent 1.2.2 and 1.2.3b356 didn't crash.

i got similar bluescreen just it were 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, something didnt bother to write all down) on tcpip and im using 1.2.2

if comes second time im writing everything down.

A not-too-much-surprising issue.

This beta losts tracks of the active torrents with unicode characters started with previous versions.

The beta try to access a "correct" name folder but the previous version generated an incorrect folder name.

So, in this case, you have to change manually the folder's name.

ok, the exact error message is this:

"***Stop: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80501CD0, 0xF11E955C, 0x00000000)"

I'm running XP sp2, stable Nvidia drivers 71.84 and SB Audigy 2 official drivers. Other than this I don't think I have any funny programs running in the background :)

Both utorrent 1.2.2 and 1.2.3b356 didn't crash.

Same BSOD for me with xp SP2 and drivers updated. No bsod with 1.2.2 or b356.

bye

Alayn

This version of 1.2.3 works both with Windows 9x/ME and 2K/XP. Of course, unicode works only on 2K/XP.

Please note that significant changes have been made to the 9x/ME code (It supports both ANSI/Unicode from the same executable), so things might have broken.

The torrent maker wasn't working in the previous beta. The new beta also enhances support for chinese torrents.

Download it here:

http://utorrent.com/download.php

I downloaded the 358 build and unlike 356, this does load up and download torrents with no problem in Win 9x. Thank you guys for the very fast response. It's outstanding to be able to run the program again in 98 SE. The same 358 build seems to run fine on my XP SP1 machine, but I'm only using basic features - downloading torrents and such.

I'll test the heck out of it to look for bugs and the like, and those can be fixed down the road. I'm just totally glad that 9x support is back.

w00t!

WOW! :o Talk about old drivers! Update them to 81.95 WHQL if you can, or the most recent WHQL version available for your particular GPU. :)

the latest driver isn't always the best, for example with people who has a 1 or 2 years old graphic card,

for them its better to take an older driver.

I remember when I had a Geforce 2, the latest driver was 56.something,

but the the driver that worked the best with Geforce 2 was 44.something.

I seem to be able to open multiple instances of the client, by clicking on the executive file or a torrent file that prompt the add torrent window. The only way to add torrent without opening another instance is either draging torrent files into the actuall utorrent window or using the add torrent function.

Exactly happening here too!

As far as I know Unicode can work only on NT systems (NT/2000/XP). However it can work on Win95/98/ME systems, but you must implement some additional code to translate it to DBCS (double-byte character set) – which is compatible with ANSI, and is used to display Japanese, Chinese,… letters . Translation could be implemented, but in this case it would use significant amount of memory. Am I right?

I don't believe DBCS codepages are ASCII compatible either. The problem with DBCS is that you can only have one active at a time. If you have used Bitcomet you can see that it allows translation from DBCS->Unicode, although not vice versa. It is doable, but the user would have to apply to source codepage for translation.

Look at my post above. In my case it was not BSOD but page fault.

I'm not sure, but suddenly - I get an extra message (after the page fault) -

"restrictions: this application has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your admin" . This is you , right ? ...

We are talking Win98... what restrictions ...

This is now the same with or w/o those two files

Edit: BTW - they have been regenerated by V 1.2.3

Archived