Yellow light - DL Speed 50

bombaygal

Hi, I am a first time user of torrents based in india and I hope you will be able to help me solve a problem of permanent 'yellow light' in U Torrent (I have read all available forum data before posting this)

1. I have a high speed LAN/ ethernet connection to a single desktop PC at home with no router or any other hardware. DSL Speed Report shows DL speed of 11582 Kb/s and UL of 649 Kb/s (The ISP gives me a 2MBPS line so I wonder if this is right?). But mostly I get weird results on speed tests.

2. My Global settings are DL - 200 kB/s and UL 10 kB/s. (50kB/s when seeding). I maintain good ratios well above 2.0 on all Torrents

3. On 'good' torrents I get average DL speeds averaging 20-25 kB/s. and peak speeds of upto 100 kB/s. I maxed out my Net speed with the Open Office download at 190 kB/s (with no global download limit set)

3. I have two software firewalls McAfee and Windows. I have disabled McAfee and run the Windows Firewall. Disabling the Windows Firewall does not get rid of the yellow light. I am reluctant to get Zone Alarm as I have seen some postings about conflict with Vista.

I have taken following actions

1) Opened ports in the range of 25000-35000 on Windows Firewall. I keep UTorrent on 26046 currently but I have tried other ports.

2) Forwarded the port to UTorrent checker which always reports that the port is not open

3) Adjusted setting for connections etc. according to above speeds

4) Increased values of TCP/IP in Advanced settings to 80 as instructed on this forum.

I'm still getting a yellow light after about a week of tweaking settings. I'm guessing that I could get a far better speed if I get green. Please could you help out? Thanks!

Read the links below. You don't need to disable ms firewall, go to Ctrl-P and enable the auto-exception for windows firewall. Note: the port checker is not 100% accurate. It is not infallible. It makes mistakes, saying port is closed when it is open, and vise-versa.

1. I have a high speed LAN/ ethernet connection to a single desktop PC at home with no router or any other hardware. DSL Speed Report shows DL speed of 11582 Kb/s and UL of 649 Kb/s (The ISP gives me a 2MBPS line

That is perfectly acceptable. 11000 kbps = ~ 1.5 MiBps The only real tweaking for connections you should do is set Ctrl-G to xx/512 so as to not overload your connection.

To re-iterate, during the open office download, did the icon change to GREEN? What kind of hardware does your ISP provide you. I doubt they give you RJ45 connection to their infrastructure. Is it possible the router/modem in-between is not setup forwarding to your static IP?

As an alternative to forwarding, check to see if the hardware is upnp compatible-supported

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The icon stayed yellow even during the Open office download.

internet connection is through a LAN Cable with no hardware in my house. but I know that there is a switch for my building and the connection is assigned to different users through it. Does that mean that I will have difficulties opening a port? (I have called my ISP and they claim that they don't block ports - other users of the ISP in local forums don't have complaints either).

Please could you advise me what hardware to check for UPNP compatability and how to check it? Thanks again!

Edit : I've posted my IPconfig data, does this help?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxx

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connecti

on

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-A0-90-FA-11

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c40f:2b06:5469:21bd%9(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.9.6.11(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.9.6.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.31.6.125

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4136:e390:44c:34d6:f5f6:f9f4(Prefe

rred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::44c:34d6:f5f6:f9f4%8(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{D69B2AE5-99A2-41CB-B06B-1969A5ADF

3E8}

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.9.6.11%10(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.31.6.125

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Archived