Problem with port forwarding

jeffro422

I have a Netgear WGT624 v2 router and when I forward ports for uTorrent I have no problem getting the green check and my speeds are great. I usually leave uTorrent up over night to download multiple torrents and then I'm not killing my bandwidth while I'm on the computer doing shit but as soon as I close uTorrent or within like 1 minute my internet connection dies. I can still chat on AIM but I can no longer use Firefox, if I unplug my router and modem and wait like 30 seconds and plug the power cords back in I will have full internet and then in a few minutes I can't use Firefox again but I can still chat on IM. In order to get this problem completely resolved I have to reset my router to default settings which eliminates my forwarded ports. What can I do in order to not have to reset my router?!

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Are you on ComCast?

I think you're experiencing a near-fatal overload on your router and/or modem. Your ISP's throttling method would make this a LOT worse if you have a high half open max in µTorrent, such as 50+.

Have you tried Ultima's Troubleshooting Guide?:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

It seems only remotely possible that your problem is due to networking driver conflicts or networking software conflicts (such as caused by software firewalls.) But just out of curiosity, do you happen to use Zone Alarm by any chance?

I don't know how/why vonage needs additional routers if their phones are RJ45..

I need more specifics, including if possible configuration screen pictures (feel free to censor personal data regarding names/ external ip/ and relevant MAC addresses)

As I understand it, whatever vonage or ___ (insert voip company here) does is connect you to their network via specific ports.. To allow normal phones to do this, they have adapters which essentially use that connector and turn it into RJ45 so that it can be used online. If your FIRST router (read as: ISP --> router --> LAN) is forwarded correctly, it sounds like your LAN IP is not static or it is also behind the second router (read as: ISP --> router --> voip router --> LAN)... If any of this is incorrect please advise otherwise.

Archived