Resnet[school server] not allowing uTorrent to use ports.

strong bad

I go to Auburn University, and our server client is called Resnet. I have tried to download torrents through uTorrent, and the server is blocking uTorrent. I checked to see if the port was forwarding properly, and it says it cannot connect. I need to find a way to mask uTorrent from the servers, and make it look like a normal program (They block everything here: LimeWire, Soulseek, uTorrent, etc.). Any help will be appreciated.

Tell the IT department you need an alternative means to get your legal content since BitTorrent does not appear to be working. Ask them about a local caching system, or mirrors to keep bandwidth off the network.

(of note: most if not all uni -.edu- campuses have a resnet, though they have no global governing body. Some of them appear in swarms from time to time, perhaps you are using default settings??)

Speaking from experience, the blizzard downloader in particular is a sub-par client. If in-fact you are trying to use it I would recommend WoWTorrentEx and load the resulting torrent into µt :D

In any case, more than likely the IT department already has pages/policy setup about this. Ask about them: If they don't ask to speak to > a technician to see if a policy can be put into place or who to talk to about such a thing.

If they're going to ban a protocol because it can be used illegally, they might as well not provide internet at all.

HERE HERE!!

EDIT: You're not on one of those campuses highlighted by the "TOP 20" on the C&D lists which made news are you? Google search

Edited with link, and yes, it was the top 25 file sharing universities.

Archived