eh linux question ;)

starscalling

If you seek a Linux BitTorrent client, there are quite a few around. Of course, the ever-consuming Azureus is available. There's also rtorrent/libtorrent but I'm guessing you'll be using the console more than one with a GUI. There's also Transmission but that needs Jam (an alternative make) in order to build it. There's also using BitTornado if you wish to use something close to official.

So far, I know no client that supports our usual features and DHT. Azureus would have that part handled easily but we all know how much we hate that client no matter what platform it's running on. But if DHT isn't required, just about any ol' BT client will do so you can use any of them. Anyone who wants to use a BT client under Linux ought to know how to handle the command prompt by now. It isn't all that difficult and that's everyone needs to deal with in Linux or any *nix environment.

An alternate, although crazy, method is to get a machine to act as a terminal server or have it running XP Professional. Then you can run an rdesktop session and have uTorrent running on that box. It's not running uTorrent on Linux but should you have spare parts around, it's another way of running uTorrent.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I heard that µT works under WINE with a bunch of graphics glitches..

Tried now under wine, graphics is ok, the problem is that utorrent could not even connect to tracker.

nor download a torrent from an url location.

i've specified even what ip to bind to.

It's strange because a netstat -an give correct results, utorrent is listening.

Iexplorer works very well under wine, so network is ok.

Archived