Throttling downloads and VPNs.

bibelo

I just moved and had to switch to Comcast. It looks like they are throttling both up and down. After UT launches both up and down speeds go up as the the connections are made and a couple of minutes in the caps hit. But from what I have read in this forum it is upload speeds that are throttled. In my case download speeds are very obviously throttled too. I also read about VPNs and I tried more than one of the services and it made no difference. Maybe it takes 45 seconds longer before the manacles clamp down but you can see the speeds go up and then come sharply down and stay down with a PPTP VPN too. I am looking to see what ISP alternatives I have in the area but is this experience common to other UT users? My speeds are so slow that UT is now completely not working for me.

Comcrap does a bunch of stuff to your connection. forging packets with RESET flag, throttling... What would be interesting is to see how they handle VOD services or other bandwidth hungry services THEY provide or are PAID to provide (net neutrality) could be a way to get them to stop at least.

Also Forbes covered the usage of Sandvine technologies on the network in June. Is it common? Depends on the ISP... Have you tried all of the recommendations? limiting peer connections lower, higher port, full encrytion... As far as a VPN/secure tunnel.. If they are killing all traffic with a high throughput that won't make a difference, and if they decide to kill all encrypted traffic that will negate any benefit of a secure stream... AFAIK that happens on foreign ISPs, but i could be mistaken, since I was forced off the ComCrap Internet when they sold their holdings in my area. Sure i'm on AOL Time Warner Viacom Umbrella Corp Internet, but at least they let me download @ 1/3 of my rated speed while limiting my upload to 1/2 and their hardware only resets my cable modem every 5-10 minutes or so :P

If verizon was in my area i'd be golden. I have more linux ISOs to get!!!

I had the same problem with my Comcast in South Florida, and tried a few VPN's. I had some success but it was not steady. I'm now with http://www.strongvpn.com and they give me access to a 1Gb connection with no throttles. Everything seems ok now. I have seen others post similar success with other VPN providers like Relax.

You have to get around their Sandvine, I use a OpenVPN solution from them but I know their regular VPN account works for some.

Best of luck, I really hate what Comcast is doing to their customers.

Archived