Informative toolbar

Aranjedeath

I had an idea, for an optional(at install time) addon for utorrent.

For windows, you know how many media related programs (windows media player, itunes, etc...) have a toolbar for controlling them on the taskbar. I was thinking that, maybe utorrent could have something along those lines, but not for control, as the tray icon does a fantastic job of facilitating control already, we could have a simple info bar, with overall speeds, or specific ones, something of that sort. Could/should be completely customizable, to do whatever people might want it to do. I'd vote for current speed info, but thats just my initial idea.

something like this as a very rudimentary idea of what it could be.

example.png

@jewelisheaven: Since Torrent context menu / Advanced / Show Download Bar already exists, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to add an option so that if more than one torrent is selected, either show a download bar with the overall status, or per-torrent download bars as shown at present.

Also, re. the download bars being hidden in boss-key mode, I know that, but what I'm puzzled about is, nowhere did the original poster (or I for that matter) ever mention the boss-key mode; it was only you! Showing a download bar in boss-key mode, even if possible, is kinda stupid anyway. Why call it a boss-key then if it doesn't hide everything? :/ So the boss-key mode is fine as it is and needs no tampering with.

In any case, what we're hoping for is that in any non boss-key mode, we simply have the (optional) ability to see a consolidated download bar, rather than per-torrent bars that already exist at present, 'cos multiple download bars only serve to clutter up the screen and take up precious screen real estate.

When the window is minimized and not to the tray you can see whatever activity is going on...

When the window is in the tray or hidden there is no title bar to see activity going on...

When uT is not in boss key mode you can use the icon...

... The functionality already exists. Why don't you make a widget or whatnot that extracts the title bar info.

The functionality already exists.

Exactly. The download bars are already there and they solve the issue quite nicely indeed. Only thing is, at present we can have as many download bars showing up as torrents selected, which takes up more space and is not easy to interpret if one wants an overall picture. So if only one download bar can be shown with the overall status, that would be really cool. Not to mention the fact that a single download bar would probably draw less resources and slow down uTorrent itself less, which would be a nice side-effect to have as well. :)

Why don't you make a widget or whatnot that extracts the title bar info.

Well, if I could, I wouldn't be here now, would I? ;) Anyway, this request is probably an easy thing to implement as the functionality exists and for a change simply needs to be pared down to show a single download bar instead of many. After all, isn't minimalism the main mantra here at uTorrent? :P

What ajones81 is describing is almost exactly what I was looking for. I'll say its not exactly what I'm looking for, but Its serves exactly the same functionality.

As long as those download bars dock to stuff (the do last time I checked,) it'll be a simpler alternate version of what I was looking for. Thanks all, and to the devs, thank you en avance if you implement this :)

Ok jewelisheaven, I don't know what you mean by hiding the window. If you mean boss-key mode, then yes, everything gets hidden including the taskbar button, the statusbar icon and download bars, if any. We don't have a problem with this and it is as it should be, period.

If the window is just minimised to the statusbar however, then the download bars are visible, right? Now kindly look at the image below (click it if it's not completely visible) to see what we're (or at least I am) requesting:

85ej8tu.pngLegend: S = Seeding, L = Leeching, D = Downloading, U = Uploading

Hope that makes it clear. For the umpteenth time, since those download bars already exist, all we're asking for is a consolidated view.

There could be a simple checkbox as follows: Show Single Consolidated Download Bar? If un-checked, then the behaviour remains as it is now (top part of the image). If checked however, then the behaviour changes to the proposed one (bottom part of the image). Et voilà! :D

Archived