Downloaded files incorrect size?

scribble

Hi guy's

Done a search but didnt turn up anything, im running utorrent 1.7.5 on vista home premium. It's happened on every file now, when i download a file it has no problems in utorrent and shows the expected size in utorrent when completed (ie 700mb downloaded complete etc), download speed and elapsed time are about right for the file size from experiance. But a file of about 700mb is only 150mb in the windows explorer, even when transfered to another computer via usb drive it's still 150mb. A 1 gig file is 600mb and another 700mb file was 250mb, none of the files work obviously.

Why does utorrent seem to work correctly but only produces these smaller files? or is it a known stupid vista issue?

Thanks for you time,

Scribble

If you mean you played it on another computer that's another story. Connecting another peer doesn't solve any questions unless when you set another client to download the full file from you (700 MB) and got 700 MB even though you're only seeing 150MB ...

I"m sorry if this sounds dumb, but could it be that it has another extension and you are hiding known extensions? ALso continuing on from before, have you tried playing the file in its associated media player?

I did download the full 700mb file from the utorrent computer, to another, even though it's only reported as 150mb in the file explorer. The file does not play on the utorrent computer and i have tried several different players. The computer is dual boot linux and is still reported as a 150mb file in linux and wont play in several other players tried. It's not an extension problem.

Copying the file yeilds the same results, 150mb file to usb drive, cant play on any other computer. The three files i have had this problem with have all been downloaded off the utorrent computer by uploading through utorrent, onto another computer using a different bittorrent program.

Im at a loss as to where utorrent is storing the rest of these files as it's not in RAM, rebooting doesnt seem to lose them. Any other ideas?

Thats the thing, it is shown as complete and IS complete. The files just register as s lot smaller in the operating systems and wont work. They cant be copied as they just copy at the small size. BUT i can download the file onto another PC via utorrent uploading the file and the other PC downloading it straight through my local network.

Transfer rates are about 500kb/s so i know im not getting the file from anywhere else as my internet is max 50kb/s. So i dont know whether utorrent is storing part of the file somewhere else, or vista is storing the file in a wierd fashion.

Archived