Ignorant Router firewall question :P

rtm1981

Hello :)

This might be a stupid question, most probably is in fact, but here goes:

I don't have the option of forwarding ports, because my father simply won't allow it (and I can't find the network password anywhere :P ). Up until a week ago I had my own apartment with the exact same linespeed as I have at my parents' house, which is about 1MB down a second (only around 200kB up though). Since I can't forward the ports tcp\udp I experience, of course, very slow speeds (50kB\s down) - despite using the same version\settings as I used at my old place.

But my question is this (which you might not have guessed from what I've been writing up to this point :P ): Why can I download at all when I haven't opened the ports? I mean if I can download at 50kB\s why can't I get the whole cake so to speak? It has to be possible to make a p2p program that function even without messing with the router since I'm already connecting to people and downloading from them right?

Well, like I said.. Probably a very stupid question. I realize of course that the people who develop this program would probably already have solved this problem if it was in any way possible :) Slow download speeds is really a great insentive to finding my own place again as well.. hehe

Aha. So that's how it works :P It's weird though that I'm experiencing so low speeds now that I'm behind one. Where before I had like 300-500 kB\s down, I now have 20. I guess that means that a good portion (almost all according to my speed, but i doubt that) of Utorrent users are behind firewalls as well.

Even back around 2003, average firewall percentages were over 70%. With more people using broadband and getting multiple computers...more people have routers, software firewalls, and ADSL modems with mini-routers/firewalls built into them.

On less technical torrents (the average tv show for instance), I'd except firewall rates even over 90% now.

Archived