uTorrent is killing my d/l speed

koberulz

Whilst only downloading at 3-4 kB/s, it's managed to halt my web browsing speed to practically zero. I've stopped all downloading torrents, and it's still downloading at between 0.1 and 0.4 kB/s, but that's not really going to be an issue.

I have, so far as I'm aware, a 64k download speed. How is uTorrent managing to use it all up off only 3-4k?

If you are choking your upload, downloads will still stay low.

A way to check this... http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ but you'd need to connect to other peers with < 100% .

If you are only uploading to that peer, at above your safe uploading level then your download from their multi-hosted seeds will suffer.

As to how it uses the download.. Yes, you should read the Guides page and about bittorrent if you would like to know more about how the whole process works. Also correctly setting up your connection is essential.

My above paragraph might therefore not make anysense prior to reading Duke Alderaan's suggestion.

I've gone through the setup guide, I have no firewall, I set the right upload speed, I've read the FAQ, I've disabled IP resolving, I've disabled DHT, I've disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP, peer.resolve_country is already false, maximum connections is at 88, net.max_halfopen is 4, and I've restarted everything. I'm still getting extremely low browsing speeds.

Archived