How to split to files partially downloaded torrent?

Venimus

I've tried several times to split to files a partially downloaded torrent, i want to see the sample before downloading the whole thing, but there is only single ~*.dat file and I couldnt find a way to see the sample/* dir. I tried to start/stop, change destination, enable download of adittional file, recheck, and all those in several different orders. The whole file still stays one solid .dat

Is there a way to watch the sample, or i have to wait for the whole file. I've downloaded partially other torrents and was able to first watch the sample, or screenshots (the downloaded parts were automatically splitted to files).

Can i force the splitting to files?

when you start downloading the torrent, highlight it, then click the Files tab.

highlight all the files except the sample file, right click and "Do not download."

once it's done downloading the sample file, it will let you know, and that full sample file will be in the downloaded folder with whatever file name it's called.

I'm having pretty much the exact same problem, and I've tried everything I could think of, including the above advice. The problem is that the file I need within the torrent is 100.0% done, but still won't separate from the .dat file. Interestingly, even though the file is definitely complete, if I right click on it and select "Open", it gives me the "There was an error opening...maybe the file hasn't been fully downloaded yet?" message. I've also tried "un-skipping" some other, smaller files in the torrent, and those download and separate from the .dat file just fine and I get a torrent download complete message. I'm at a loss, is there any way to recover the file from the .dat file without having to restart the torrent? (I don't plan on downloading all the files in the torrent, it's too big and has too much stuff I don't want)

As to the cause of the issue, I think it may have occured because I ran out of disk space at some point during the download, and uTorrent didn't have enough space to copy the data from the .dat file to create the file that finished downloading. If this was in fact the case, this issue might qualify as a bug.

It is the same here, of course I already skipped some files, that is why i said partialy downloaded, it was 100% downloaded. I think it happened because i messed with the skip/download stuff, i first of all stopped the file ("dont download"), then resumed it. But i dont think i made something really wrong i simply changed my mind. In fact if you didnt check the "add new torrents in stopped mode" and your connection is fast you wont be able to stop some unwanted files from downloading partially.

I found that if you mess with "dont/download" you will end with a solid dat file, that wont split when downloading finishes. I was forced to start all downloading from the beginning and it didnt work again! Sounds more like a bug to me..

I still havnt tested the new 1.3 version.

I found that fisrt of all the option "preallocate disk-space" should be checked to allow files download separately. In addition I also set the advanced options: diskio.use_partfile = *false and diskio.sparse_files= *true (I'm not sure the second is needed). Changing these didnt split the first file, but all the new torrents started downloading as separate files.

If any of you still have those torrents with files that won't split, can you try setting all the files to normal, then back to skip, then normal again and see if it helps? (making sure you have enough space, you must have more free space than the size of the partfile)

• 1 month later...

Archived