Beta 1.2.3 (358) start from browser

dolbysnoopy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Firefox 1.5 and this happens to me, whether I try to open the torrent from my browser, or whether I try to open it from my desktop after I've saved the torrent file manually. It always tries to open a new instance of µTorrent. I had installed beta build 360, then upgraded to 1.3 build 364 today through the µTorrent client.

A little more on what I can see happening:

First things first: I had saved my 1.2.3(360) beta as "utorrent-beta-unicode-build-360.exe" in my storage directory. This directory is where I keep all my installers. utorrent doesn't use an installer. When it auto-updated, it saved the new 1.3 executable over top of the old executable in my storage directory. I wondered why when I erased and updated my file associations, it still said "open with utorrent-beta-unicode-build-360.exe".

This however, has nothing to do with the problem it seems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, starting from scratch: I erased all copies of utorrent from my system. I made a utorrent folder in my Program Files. I put the newest 1.3 (364) "utorrent.exe" in that folder. I erased the torrent association from Tools->Folder Options->File Types tab. Upon first launch of utorrent.exe, it asked me if I'd like to set my associations to utorrent. I said yes. It opened, and resumed two torrents I had been downloading. I clicked a third torrent I'd saved to my desktop previously, and it attempted to open a new instance.

When I look at the "Advanced" button for the .torrent file association, it brings up the "Edit File Type" window. The only action listed is "open" and the "Confirm open after download" checkbox is checked (which will only matter when using Internet Explorer). The action "open" was not in bold, so I clicked on it, and pressed the "Set default" button - which bolded it.. but this did NOTHING as far as the problem goes.

when editing the "open" action, I see the following:

Application used to perform action:

"C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe" "%1"

the Use DDE checkbox is CHECKED.

DDE Message:

(empty)

Application:

utorrent

DDE Application Not Running:

(empty)

Topic:

System

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is all the information I could gather regarding this issue.

Again, I'm using Firefox 1.5 and WinXP SP2.

I'm using Firefox 1.5 and this happens to me, whether I try to open the torrent from my browser, or whether I try to open it from my desktop after I've saved the torrent file manually. It always tries to open a new instance of µTorrent. I had installed beta build 360, then upgraded to 1.3 build 364 today through the µTorrent client.

I've exactly the same.

Firefox 1.5, but it doesn't matter since every time I'm trying to open torrent file it launches another instance of utorrent. Problems started since I've installed the 1.2.3 betas.

I just tried this. Erased all my dat files except resume.dat and the two .torrent files in my %AppData%\uTorrent directory. This was my dht.dat and settings.dat files. I had to spend 3 minutes putting all my settings back. But it still had no effect on the way µTorrent tries to launch another instance when opening a new torrent.

Application used to perform action:

"C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe" "%1"

That has to match the current exe file for it to not open another instance. All having the multple instances, check the versions of both instances that open. If they are different, thats the problem. I had a similar problem with my shortcut pointing to older versions. If u using a shortcut to open uT, make sure the correct version is in the shortcut. (right click the shortcut and hit properties)

or in spriseris's and some other cases it might be easier to just rename the current utorrent exe u have to "utorrent.exe". Thats hopefully should do the trick unless u are like me. I kept all versions and had to rename em all to their actual versions. Some versions just said "utorrent.exe" while some said "utorrent-beta whatever.exe" The mulpitle instances are just some association errors, thats all.

Archived