Beta 1.2.3 (358) start from browser

dolbysnoopy

jroc: The only copy of utorrent.exe on my system is in C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe

It exists nowhere else on any of my drives; therefore I'm 100% certain it matches the current instance of utorrent.exe that is running. :(

boo: tried it erasing it just now, didn't help :(

I'm pretty sure it's some association errors but everything seems to be right!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the multiple instance happens, are there 2 different versions? Can someone test this for us? or try letting the latest exe be named beta whatever .exe. see if that helps.

Im sorry. if the latest version is utorrent.exe rename the exe to something different than utorrent.exe. Then when running the exe hopefully ur firewall will ask for permission for the new .exe. If not, change the .exe in the file types options u mentioned earlier. The problems occur when we have more than one version named "utorrent.exe" Thats one reason I named all my versions to their actual version number.

Also check ur firewall settings for the allowed programs. Look for all utorrent.exe's that u allowed and either remove em from the firewall or try to find if there is another version somewhere on ur pc.

utorrent 1.3 says its version right in the button on the start bar, and it's definitely launching two copies of the same executable as i've searched my system and there's only one copy of utorrent.exe (across both my harddrives. I searched with a wildcard (utorrent*.exe) to be sure)

No, i have none of that silly stuff installed :) I don't even use Windows system restore points.

I think this is some sort of DDE issue. jroc since you don't have an issue, can you please check the Advanced button on your torrent file associations and edit the "open" action? make sure it matches this?

[Application used to perform action:]

"C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe" "%1" (wherever your utorrent is)

the Use DDE checkbox is CHECKED.

[DDE Message:]

(empty)

[Application:]

utorrent

[DDE Application Not Running:]

(empty)

[Topic:]

System

(I tried unchecking the "Use DDE" checkbox, but i still have the same problems)

Ok I see I shoulda did some looking of my own. I did an auto upgrade to the latest version earlier today. My filetypes options says utorrent-1.2.3-beta-unicode-build-356. Everything else is the same. Thats the latest version I used when I auto-upgraded. But I did download 1.3 separately b4 I auto-upgraded. Then I pointed my shortcut to 1.3 And I open uT from the shortcut only.

There is definitely something funny going on. Cuz I should have 2 instances opening too. I need to stop uT and re open it or something. Will report back with news soon.

UPDATE: I cant reproduce the multiple instances. Even after restarting uT and my browser. Thats wild cuz the only thing pointing to the current version is my shortcut. Everything in file types points to a beta. U sure u clicking a exe and not a shortcut? Im at a total loss now.

For sure that this is not related with .torrent association. I use Windows Explorer enter the utorrent directory which is ""C:\Program Files\uTorrent\" and double click utorrent.exe, every double click bring up one instance of µTorrent in the task bar. I don't use autoupdate and alway download utorrent.exe manually and replace the old .exe, problem only came up with the beta version starting support of unicode.

I downgraded to 1.2 (erased utorrent.exe, erased file associations, erased %appdata%\utorrent folder, then erased every instance of utorrent i found in my registry) and i didn't have any problems with multiple instances. i then let it upgrade itself to 1.3 and the multiple instance problem started happening again.

How does µTorrent detect that an instance is already running? Is it based on the filename, or on the subject bar?

Could it be that the detection is done with an Unicode string compare, but that the input of the test isn't using Unicode? In that case, the problem could depend on the user's system codepage: on normal English Windows it might work, but if the encoding is different, e.g. on a Russian or Japanese Windows, it might not.

All the people who are seeing this problem: what is the language of your Windows installation?

Mine is Dutch, and the system codepage is 1252, and everything works fine.

~Grauw

p.s. My installation path is and has always been C:\Program Files\µTorrent\utorrent.exe (note the µ, which is not part of standard ANSI, so the code would be different in UTF-8 and Latin-1).

All the people who are seeing this problem: what is the language of your Windows installation?

English Windows XP SP2

Under Regional & Languages Options

Regional Options Tab:

Standards and formats = English (United States)

Location = Hong Kong S.A.R

Advanced Tab:

Select a lanage to match the language version of the non-Unicoe programs you want to use = Chinese (Hong Kong S.A.R)

I've many codepages checked in "codepage conversion tables"

My installation path is also C:\Program Files\µTorrent\utorrent.exe

English Windows XP SP2

Under Regional & Languages Options

Regional Options Tab:

Standards and formats = English (United States)

Location = United States

Advanced Tab:

Language version of the non-Unicode programs you want to use = Japanese

I also have some 25+ codepages installed under "codepage conversion tables"

My utorrent resides in C:\Program Files\utorrent\utorrent.exe as well.

I have Japanese and English inputs enabled. I'll change my non-unicode setting to English and see how this works. Having it set to japanese turns all my backslashes to yen symbols.

I'm using Traditional Chinese Windows XP Corp Pro SP2

Utorrent is A:\Utorrent.exe yeah.. it's a floppy?

Tried it on my other comp which never had anything BT on it and still multiple instance problem

It keeps opening a new instance...

(clicking Run/Open in IE)

(double clicking torrent file on my desktop)

The dialog box i just pasted was a screenshot from just 5 minutes ago, in version 1.3. When I changed my non-unicode program language settings from Japanese to English (which required a reboot), it fixed the problem. New torrents launched in the same window. Then I changed back from English to Japanese (rebooted again) and the problem shows again.

utorrent13jp7cg.jpg

I repeat: PROBLEM FIXED if I set my Non-unicode program language to use English. If I set it to Japanese, opening a new torrent launches a new instance of utorrent.

what are you talking about when you say you choose to run a progam in japanese or run it in english,

do you make an shortcut and in it you add some info???

Anyway, this is what I have=

Regional Options Tab:

Standards and formats = Swedish

Location = Sweden

In Language tab, I have the two checkboxes there checked,

which result all asian and some middle east language in Advanced is checked.

And I dont have the yen problem.

i know, i see it anywhere in windows when i use Japanese for non-unicode program language -- a command prompt, an address bar, whatever. I don't know if this bit of information has anything to do with the issue - just trying to provide info for it to get fixed. i hypothesize that the newer utorrent needs a little work on its unicode implementation.

Anyway, this is what I have=

Regional Options Tab:

Standards and formats = Swedish

Location = Sweden

In Language tab, I have the two checkboxes there checked,

which result all asian and some middle east language in Advanced is checked.

What about the "Advanced Tab", Select a language to match the language version of the non-Unicoe programs you want to use?

Please also note that Chinese and Japanese are internally use double bytes to represent a single character unlike ANSI, I don't know about Swedish.

Archived