The ability to choose kB/s vs kb/s

Pheoni

There should be an option in the settings to choose if network speeds should be calculated as kiloBites per second or kilobits per second. I could not find a single mention of the difference on the forums or faq. I couldn't even find anyone not knowing the difference asking why their download speeds are slow! :) Any thoughts?

Ick, well my intent is not to reopen the 1000 != 1024 debate.

What I want is to view the total number of bits (not bytes) being processed via uTorrent. Most of the time when I encounter a network speed, it's rated in kb(its)/s. Like my ISP for example. I rent a 5 Mbit/s pipe from them. All of my network tools rate speeds in bits/s as opposed to bytes a second. It would be nice to be able to look at all of my torrents and not have to multiply the numbers by 8 to get a consistent feel across the board.

(Just for my clarification. In uTorrent, kB = 1024B right?)

Pheoni, I just don't see how this is different than what has been dicussed in that gigantic thread. Size or speed, the arguments are still the same. I don't see how any more arguments could be added either way, it's really beaten to death already.

Here's the difference I see. The other thread was about the semantics between if we should call 1024 bytes a KB or a KiB and if popular convention or scientific measurements were more important.

What I want is to measure my speed in the same format that the rest of my speeds are measured, bits/s not bytes/s.

I am still somewhat stunned by the lack of "I've got a 768 kb/s connection but I'm only downloading at 90 kB/s and my firewall/NAT is set up right." topics in the help forum. I guess that's a good thing, but it would be nice to not have to multiply everything by 8 on the fly when I'm looking at uTorrent.

• 9 months later...

I completely concur with this. I have two three friends attempting to talk me away from Azureus and to µTorrent... and this topic alone has me not converting.

I don't care about SI units or whatever... just a simple option to multiply all network speeds by 8!

I've been a router head for over 10 years and not once is the unit kBytes/sec used -- not even when I order a home DSL service.

• 4 years later...

YES IT LOOKS VERY FUTILE!!!

I would also like to measure my speed in the same format that the rest of my speeds are measured, bits/s not bytes/s.

I am still somewhat stunned by the lack of "I've got a 768 kb/s connection but I'm only downloading at 90 kB/s and my firewall/NAT is set up right." topics in the help forum. I guess that's a good thing, but it would be nice to not have to multiply everything by 8 on the fly when I'm looking at uTorrent

That would be nice. So is that Asureus thing better at this then?

Archived