Two instances of uTorrent at once

seanneko

Hi

Is having two instances of uTorrent running at once under the same user account likely to cause any problems?

I ask because this is exactly what happens when you're using Terminal Services and have uTorrent in your startup folder. When you login to a new terminal session, it will load up another instance of uTorrent.

Both of the instances appear to be working without any errors. Will it cause any corruption when downloading new torrents though, ie. when both of them are trying to write to the same files?

Thanks

If they are loading from the same directory you will get occasional error messages in the Logger tab about "unable to save resume.dat".

But actually even with TSC you will not be able to run multiple instances of uT unless you append the /RECOVER parameter to the command line/shortcut.

It is not recommended to try and download the same files in both instances.

I'm not really sure what you mean by:

"But actually even with TSC you will not be able to run multiple instances of uT unless you append the /RECOVER parameter to the command line/shortcut."

It seems to let me run as many instances as I have terminal sessions without that command line switch. This is with Windows Server 2003 by the way, not XP, so I can have multiple simultaneous sessions.

For example, I log in to the physical machine and uTorrent will start. Then I open a terminal session on a remote computer and log in, and a second copy of uTorrent starts (so there's one in each session). Both of them will have the same active torrents.

Both instances upload/download independently from each other. One might be downloading at 50KB/s, and the other might be downloading at 3KB/s.

AHH, right with server's ability to have real virtual consoles, it is under a different user. It's not the same user even if you're logged in as the same username.

As before, it is not recommended to have multiple instances downloading the same files... same for saving to the same hard drives. Bittorrent is hard enough on random access, multiple streams trying to save will only compound the issue.

Well if you don't want µtorrent to start with every remote session then you should remove it from the startup or use a different user account for logging in remotely.

You could also force Terminal Services to take over the console account (take over the session of the user at the physical station), this will prevent multiple sessions from starting but does mean you can't login from multiple locations at the same time (logging in from one place will lock out another place). To do this start mstsc.exe with the /console command line option.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278845

Archived