"Death of a Torrent"

SunTzu21

Anyhow I've downloaded torrents for quite a while now, and generally have had no problem. However lately i've been having trouble trying to get seeds/peers and even sustain a connection. Usually it goes to like lets say 10kb then drops to 0 and stays dead. I've never had to forward ports before and I would generally get lets say 50KB connection speed for each file, which is good enough for me.

Some changes that happened:

I installed Windows SP 2

I installed the SP 2 but I did turn off the firewall, and even let UTorrent bypass the firewall. There is no message in the logger, it just won't download anything.... I tested the speeds again and even the ports to check if they are open, and they all check out. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Remeber I've downloaded torrents before, its just now there not working for some odd reason.

Well it has the blue mark(downloading) and I check the port connection checking thing in the speed guide section of your torrent. And it says my connection is OK encovered in Green. My upload rate is well nonexistent but I set it to unlimited upload.....

WHere is this thing if green says ok!?!?!?!

What i've experience..... I think I've done that. Ok look when I download that file it has the seeds of 12 out of a swarm of about 1000. The peer slot has like 50 but no accepted so shows as 0(85) or something like that. My download speed when downloading that is high at about 100-200kb however the upload speed is 0-0.4kb. The speed is set to 256kb (I have DSL) and I checked the speed through the speed guide. I also checked encryption and the port says its open. The firewall is turned off.

Since the OpenOffice downloads at your expected download speed you are assured that you CAN download at your peak speed. The problem usually lies with the peers, collectively not being configured for you to download FROM THEM as to reach such a speed. When you are running the torrent are you seeing incoming peers ("I" Flag under Peers tab) and the green checkmark network status icon in the taskbar?

With 256 Kbit upload that is max theoretical 32 KiBps, of which you MAY even be able to squeeze out 30 while not downloading. The max set by Ctrl-G is sufficient so you should make sure you are only opening the number of slots to give a fair upload to all the peers you connect to: I would recommend 5 KiBps. That means you can leave the upload slots where it is @ 3 or lower it.

It is possible the reason you are not seeing high uploads is because peers who you are uploading to ("U" flag) are snubbed ("S" flag).. if you let it run, and peers are interested in your pieces you should be able to upload just fine.

ok this time I checked the peers and there were alot mostly marked DE. They all produced DL rates for me about 10 Peers or 12 peers in the list. However in the torrent above it showed 3(some large number). There was a upload rate but low 0.4-0.6KB. The download rate was high like 200kb and what green light are you talking about? what else should I do. My other torrents don't work....

Please someone help...

Archived