upload speeds refusing to go as high as set

amdboy

Within the last week for some reason when I set utorrent to 50KB upload speeds, it will hover around 20-25KB/s instead. It will refuse to max out the 50KB limit. However if I set it to unlimited, then it maxes my upload speeds out around 80KB/s.

any idea what would cause this?

running vista ultimate 64bit and utorrent 1.6.1

I have tried other versions of utorrent with the same results.

It has been working fine up until this point for the last year.

Are you using outgoing encryption enabled?

Also, the quality of the peers/seeds on the torrents you're running can radically change how well your µTorrent runs...if almost everyone is on a heavily throttled ISP that only allows ~30 KiloBYTES/sec max download speed then you may see bad results even on your upload speed if you only have 1 or 2 torrents running with 3 or fewer upload slots.

Likewise, you might also see speed drops if you set lots of upload slots and lots of torrents due to the overheads for each...but I wouldn't expect that to fall below 25 KiloBYTES/sec if you can really do 50+.

Have you tried a more recent version of µTorrent?

What exactly are your settings in µTorrent?

Deviating majorly from Speed Guide's recommended settings is just cause for disaster.

I'll say it again:

IF you're uploading to someone on a highly throttled ISP, your uploads will go slow because THEIR download max is throttled.

My guess is the extra upload slots thing is checked, but only kicks in consistently when set to "unlimited" upload speed.

It still seems very strange that your upload doesn't max out at 50 KiloBYTES/sec when set to that...at least briefly...at least occasionally.

Archived